Chapter one

Sarah's POV

"Today, we'll be going in the forest to hunt for strays. You know vampires will go there to hide from people like us. We will scatter around the forest, half taking one side and the other half taking the other," Dean Kon orders.

Dean is our boss and leader of the group. He's a tough guy I tell ya. He doesn't play around. Dean's so strict that you make one mistake, even if it's little, you have to do ten pushups in front of everyone, the get a lecture about the mistake later on. He says that if we make a mistake while hunting the vamps down, then we will die.

It's true though, if something happens then you're a goner. He's also very strict when it comes to how well we're ready. We have to be prepared no matter what, whether we're training, on our days off, or on guard. If something's happens and we're not ready then we may also die as well.

Ever since my accident nine years ago, I have been on guard always, since I've joined the team.

Since he came on the team and became leader instantly, he's been so tough on me. Dean's got high expectations for me, and I mean high. I can't slip up whatsoever. A few times he's threatened to kick me off the team but hasn't.

A few of the members survived the war and has protected me throughout the years I've been here. They've known me since I was born.

Ever since my father died, they've been there for me. They feel like second family and still do.

". . . Sarah Harper, you'll be taking the east side of the forest."

The east.

The home of the Tandlers, aka, Blade Ramose, Keir Vance, Victoria, Raul, and Nevada Crane. Corbin Kline, Dawn Hansen and Amber Neal. Along with my old friends, Sabor Wilson, Lennix Rivera and Kathrine Roberts.

The three friends become vampires during the war. They live with the others but not in the household. They moved away to recover but they wouldn't tell me where. They've cut off all contact so the last time I've seen them was just after the funeral of my father and all of those who died in the war.

I haven't gone into that side of the forest, or in general for that matter, for reasons. It's too heartbreaking for me to cope.

I haven't visited the home in so long, I forgot what it looks like.

-

Once we got to the forest entrance, we split up into our respectful groups. Of course I'm placed with my guys, the ones that I know the best for knowing them for years.

Walking into the deep forest, I stayed with my group real close. I don't like this. It brings back memories that I tried to burry deep into my brain where I can't look back.

All memories wash up to my brain like a letter in a bottle washing up to shore. How I've been attacked, staying at their home for the night that winter, going to their house to answer a question. Being attacked on the other part of the forest. Of course my fear is the forest, but I've got protection and my guys so I feel safe.

We get into position with me in a tree. I scout for one that's tall enough and sturdy. Once I find my tree, I climb as high as I can for viewing the forest. I got a good spot.

Settling in, I sit on the massive branch while holding onto another branch to keep myself from plummeting to my death.

I give a thumbs up when they call out to me. Admiring the view, that's when I realize something, I've got a view of the house.

Well at least the top of it. My heart drops when I know it's vacant. No one lives there anymore.

Just the thought of seeing the home gives me tears.