Chapter 20

Betilla's POV

Okay yes I woke up to a security guard tapping on my car window. I frowned at him and grained when I checked the time . School starts in 30 minutes . Fuck! I hopped back to the driver's seat and sped out of the hospital to my house . I didn't even glance back at his window to see if he might be up . I pulled in my driveway and saw that my parents were gone . Perfect!

I dashed into the house with my spare key and went to my room . I took a quick shower and got on some washed off jeans and a tank top. I grabbed my phone and checked the time . I had 7 mins left . Shit! Plus my battery was 48% . Crap! Today wasn't a good day. I grabbed my book bag and dashed to my car . I was probably a sweaty mess the time I got to school.

I got in . In record time for homeroom. I sighed when I realised that he wasn't probably gonna show up . But then again I saw Venus pass my class . Without thinking, I ran out to meet her . Leaving the class without the teacher's permission. "Venus!" I yelled after her . She turned back to look at me. I smiled at her sheepishly. She looked behind me and I rose an eyebrow so I turned too.

So yeah , my homeroom teacher was standing with a detention slip in his hands . I pursed my lips as I took it . Again today wasn't a good day. I looked back at her only to find out that she was gone. I went back to the class and well as usual, eyes were on me . Great! Note my sarcasm.

So I had detention after school that day and Venus ghosted me the whole day . After recess I ran into Mae . She ignored me as usual but I've had enough. Something in me snapped .

"Mae!" I yelled after her and pulled her back . She had a frown on her face . "What the fuck is wrong with you? Why are you so mean?" I said sadly . I looked at her and tried to study her reaction . Her facade cracked a little before looking away .

"You know, " I started . "My brother is dead . He's probably rotting in the ground now . Worms are crawling through his mouth, under his tongue and in his nose . You know it's a horrible thing to die . "I looked at her for a reaction. She had none despite my awfully detailed information. "Or to live." I finished . Her head snapped to me . But she didn't utter a word . Her eyes said it all . She was hurt . Alone .

"I know I haven't been there for you like the old times . I can't act as if I didn't lose anyone . My brother's death has changed my life brutally. If you can't keep up with that, I guess it's best we stop being friends. I'm sure you're pretty good at doing that already." I turned on my heel . I started to walk when I realised she wasn't making any move to win me back . Okay I was hurt .

"Betilla wait!" I stopped in my tracks . I slowly turned and saw her sobbing mess . I ran to her and pulled her into a reassuring hug . "Please tell me you'll never leave me again." She mumbled into my chest . I nodded furiously against her .

Okay so we reconciled and I felt great! Until , I realised I had detention after school . That was a downer! Boohoo. I trudged myself to the detention class and saw the usual notorious students . I rubbed my eyes as I dropped my phone in the box in the middle of the class. I might as well use this period to study .

I got my books out and well I got distracted. My mind drifted to Archer as usual . Okay it was official. I had feelings for him . I rubbed my palm in my face when I remembered that he probably doesn't feel the same for me . The teacher wasn't in class so I decided to sleep. I was really exhausted. Sleeping in my car wasn't really as comfortable as I thought it would be .

I sighed after I felt one of the kids tapping my back . "Dude , wake the fuck up! Detention's over." She said and left . I blinked around and took in my surroundings. I got up and packed my things . No doubt the school was empty. I sent a text to Mae .

'Just leaving school now.'

I walked to my car when a message popped up . Firstly , I thought it was Mae but it was Mom.

'Betilla, your father and I went on a very important business trip . We'll be back in two weeks. Don't forget to go for your oxygen therapy today and also I left something on your bed. Stay safe!'

My mom was really changing . I didn't know how to process this . So I just drove to the hospital although I was really late . I walked into the hospital and the nurses looked at me. As usual. One approached me .

"Betilla, you're late for your therapy." He said it as if I was oblivious. "I had detention." I rushed out . "Okay then , come in."

I laid down and inhaled pure oxygen for 30 minutes . Soon it was over . I was really tired and I wanted to sleep in my own bed that night . Sigh . I got into my car and I turned it on. I placed my head on the stirring wheel as I let it run for a while. Without checking , I pulled out of the parking lot . I reversed and I almost hit someone. I hit the brakes immediately. No . No

I got down and saw who it was . I froze

An

Deuces!