Chapter 24

I tried to level my breathing as we avoided each other. He walked over to his dresser and said. "I think it's best you leave Betilla." He said coldly. He was pushing me away again. I sighed and took off his hoodie quickly and dropped it on his bed and walked out. I got downstairs and could feel tears come into my eyes. I pressed against them and willed them to go away. A sob broke through me. I looked for my phone and I realised that I left it on his dresser. Shit.

I was in no mood to see him again. But I couldn't leave my phone. I got to his locked door and I saw my phone outside on the floor with a sticky note on it. I frowned as I picked it up. He clearly didn't want to see me too. Another pang of hurt spread through my chest. I looked at the note and scanned his perfect handwriting. It said

Betty, I think it's best we don't see each other again.

Wait, what? How will that even be possible? I walked out of his house and stayed in my car for a solid minute before pulling out of his driveway and heading to Mae's house. I could swear, I saw a glimpse of him staring at me. Maybe it's just a fragment of my imagination. I'm not sure

Mae and I spent the evening binge-watching F.R.I.E.N.D.S on Netflix while talking about Archer. Lance popped up here and there. I ended up leaving their house late in the night. I crashed on my bed and was too tired to take off my clothes. I sighed as I replayed the events of today and I closed my eyes. What did he mean by we shouldn't see each other again? We were in the same school, we have some classes together, I didn't see how that was possible. 

Monday came by pretty fast. I sighed as I pulled into the school's parking lot. I was eager to see him again and I felt those familiar butterflies in my stomach. We had the first period together and I walked to the class as fast as I could hoping to get a good seat. I sighed as the teacher walked in and closed the door behind him. He wasn't present yet. Maybe he was running late?

I held onto that thought as the first period ended and the second period came by. And for the first time in my life school went by faster than possible. He was absent in all the classes we had together.  I frowned at the fact that he was absent. I recalled his note. 

We shouldn't see each other again.

Did he change schools? Wait even worse, move away? He couldn't. Could he?

After school, I met up with Mae and told her I'll be at her house later on today too. I had a place I gotta be. I entered my car and drove out of school with one hope in mind. That he was at home. Safe and sound. I pulled into his driveway and saw his car still parked. I sighed in relief. But then I looked at his house. What was I going to say to him? I suddenly felt nervous.

I got down from my car and walked to his front door. I decided to text him. 

'I'm at your house'

He read it immediately and my heart raced as he typed back a reply.

'Go away.'

That hit home. 

I stared at his locked door and contemplated whether to open it and walk-in or knock and get ignored or just walk away and forget him. I decided to walk in. I opened the door and entered I was met with everlasting darkness. I closed the door quietly behind me and walked to his room slowly to stop my shoes from squeaking against his polished hardwood floor. 

I arrived at his door and wished his door was open. Turning the doorknob, I heard the lock click open. I smiled at myself. I opened it a bit wider and put a foot in.

My brain was telling me to get the fuck out of there but I acted with my heart, not brain. I pushed myself through his door and closed the door behind me.  I dried my sweaty palms on my jeans as I scanned his room. He wasn't there. I frowned as I walked to his bed. It wasn't made. I touched it with my hand and it was cold. I frowned more. And I felt him behind me.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" He said coldly. Walking past me to his closet, he was in the bathroom. I squealed when I saw that he was only in a towel. I tried to look anywhere but him but it was really difficult. 

I stared at his chest. He was defined and built. That made me imagine him working out. His body glistening with a sheen of sweat. His eyes twinkling. He cleared his throat and I felt heat rush to my cheeks as I looked down awkwardly. He turned away to reach for a hoodie. His back muscles flexed and I bit my lip liking the view. He started to talk.

"I thought I made it clear that I don't want to see you." he turned back to face me and frowned. "What are you doing with your lip? Stop it," Once again, he caught me checking him out. He put on his hoodie and blocked every bit of him I was fantasising about. I sighed. 

"You were absent from school. I was wo...worried?" He tilted his head at me. Then he smiled. I was about to do the same when I heard his next statement. 

"I thought I made it clear that I don't want to see you."

I knew that he couldn't like me in any possible way. He hated me. As If he knew what I was thinking, he smiled.

AN

A share would mean the world!