Chapter 26: This Is Impossible

“W-what??” I exclaim. “What kind?”

“Lung.”

“Oh…” my voice trails off.

“Why didn’t you tell me?!” I ask, suddenly angry.

“We just got a call from Grandpa. He explained how she got water in her lungs and got cancer from it.”

I look down at my feet. I don’t want to lose her!

*

I finish my picture of a dog and put down my crayon. I run over to Grandma and show her the picture.

“It’s a doggy!!” I exclaim.

She laughs and says “Why, yes it is!”

I run back to the table and draw my family. Me, Mom, Tyler, Dad, Grandma and Grandpa, Uncle Dan and Aunt Beth.

Then I give it to her.

“Oh my! How beautiful! I’ll hang it up on my fridge!”

I giggle and beg her to play Candy Land with me.

“I don’t see why not!”

                                                   *

After having that memory of when I was six, I run to my room, slam the door, and collapse on my bed sobbing. I have to believe that she won’t die! Please don’t let her die! Let her be a survivor!!! I cry some more and then sit up, tear stained face. I run downstairs and go outside. I sit in the grass and think about Grandma. Then I finish being sad and know that she could get surgery to cure her. With that thought, I happily call my friend Abby and tell her I’m home. She says into the phone “Oh my gosh!!!!!!! Let’s go on a walk!!!!!!!!”

We go on a walk and stop at a little creek. We follow it to an amazing little stream with a small little bridge over it and a little waterfall and evergreen tree branches hanging over the water. We spotted some carp, so we named it Carp Creek. Then we walked back to the sidewalk and continued our walk. We said goodbye and I went to my house. It was getting late, so I took a shower and got into my pajamas…

Then I crawled into bed and closed my eyes…

*

“Nicole…Nicole…”

I feel myself being lightly shaken.

“What?” I mumble sleepily.

“We gotta get to the hospital. The baby’s coming.”

Suddenly I’m wide awake. I quickly jump out of bed and Tyler runs out of my room. I throw on some pants and put on some shirt over my night top. I don’t bother with a brush and just throw on some flip flops. I run downstairs and we get into the car. Dad drives to the hospital and we rush inside. We sign in while a nurse takes Mom to the “Birth” section. Dad goes in a few minutes later, and Tyler and I wait in the waiting section. We’re both on our iPods.

        It’s been two hours now. It’s 2:46 in the morning. Then, Dad comes out and says “Time to meet your newest member.”

We walk in quietly and look at Mom. She’s sitting in the hospital bed, cradling a little child.

“Guys, meet your new little brother, Logan.”