Intermission: Defcon 3

It was supposed to be a normal morning at the time. But the continent of Valence and the Jomon Peninsula will never forget the images they saw on the news that day. The Pretanians sent an assassin on Terran soil. Maybe their old, conceited leaders couldn't stand the idea of another powerful nation existing in Valence. And declared to the continent that they themselves were the true master race of the world.

According to official statements, the assassin refused to kill him, but an elder took control of the assassin and killed him instead. Shocked, the assassin fell in grief, crying their apologies before stabbing themself to prove fealty. It was a great tragedy that struck the world. All that remained was the lust for revenge.

How did the people of Valence feel about what they've heard? And what did the people they saved think about it when they were given a second chance to be with their families?

Federal Hall, 3 days later

"Order...! Order...! Before I call the Deputy Secretary-General, I should like to inform the hosts that at 7 PM, I would like to invite everyone to rise and observe two minutes of silence in honor of the Secretary-General who has been in stasis ever since, and the tragedy in the Terran Federation three days ago. Order. Statement, your Excellency."

Now acting Secretary-General Avrora Kalasinova stepped up to the podium of the kilometer-wide Federal Hall that can house 200,000 people. Behind her was the chairwoman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and highest-ranking officer, Field Marshal Karina Koch; the Knight Princess, Angelica of Litöw; the Gerald R. Ford-class Aircraft Carrier, CVN-80 Enterprise; the charismatic Prinzessin, Erika Victoria Marie Von Weissenheer; the little sister, M4 SOPMOD II; and lastly the nerve center of the Federation, Monika. All with lifeless eyes.

Adjacent to them were the Terran Congress, Governors and administrative officials, military and civilian officers, thousands of armed soldiers of the battle, and home front—all arranged in a hierarchy. It was a surreal sight to see especially when it's covered live internationally. Journalists from both the North and Southern region and Jomon Peninsula were overwhelmed by the atmosphere and imposing image that in the future became a very iconic image of the Federation's power and fury.

Everyone wore all black. The uniform, the boots, the helmets; even the girls as well. They stood steadfast in collective and controlled fury. They revealed no emotions but the expressionless eyes and face. One could wonder what they all felt after what just happened.

Fig. 1

The entire continent held its breath, the Japanese, Jomon, Litöw, Weissenheer, and many of the southern region nations expressed their solidarity

The entire continent held its breath, the Japanese, Jomon, Litöw, Weissenheer, and many of the southern region nations expressed their solidarity. The holy land, its aligned nations, and the enemies of the Federation sang with joy. But everyone regardless of their flag or belief wondered about the so-called 'Fate of Pretani.'

As Avrora stood up on the podium, the hundred thousand occupants salute in unison. There was an eerie silence. Only the shuttering sound of mana and conventional cameras of the international and domestic journalists. The Japanese viewers at home watching the event felt their power on a personal level, the left and right politicians were struck with uncertainty, while the entire continent's spine chilled—rekindling their fear of the Federation.