Chapter 12: too many stairs

~•Luigi's PoV•~

"Is the key ready yet Toad?" I muttered nervously whilst I twiddled my thumbs, "are you sure it can even be fixed?"

The mushroom head looked at me and smiled, "relax Luigi! I've almost fixed it up!" He then gave me a sympathetic look, "your worried about not getting up to the top of the tree aren't you?"

I stared at him in shock, "w-what? No, no not at all, m-maybe? I don't know!" I stumbled on my words and Toad laughed.

He then became a little serious, "I know this is about Y/n, E Gadd told me about it when you left. And believe me I'm worried about her as much as you, she's like a mother to every single toad in the mushroom kingdom. And we will return the favour!"

"'We?'" I questioned, "please don't tell me there's more of you in the mansion..." Toad nodded, "yep! Well technically...anyway the key is done! Go tell E Gadd that you and Y/n are ready."

He handed me the key And I put into my pockets (another thing that happens in dark moon is that the items given to Luigi are huge at first...but then shrink when they enter his pockets...?) I quickly thanked toad and left to the main bunker room, Y/n was asleep on the couch, as always, and E Gadd was using the parascope on the haunted towers, probably making final precautions.

"The key has been fixed!" I announced, E Gadd quickly turned around and Y/N's eyes shit open. "That's great Luigi!" The professor chuckled.

Y/n then lazily hugged me from behind, "you woke me up..." I lightly patted her head and softly smiled, "you can go back to sleep if you want, I can get that dark moon piece myself."

Her eyes widened and she stud up strait, "no I'm coming with." I couldn't help but chuckle. E Gadd then zapped us to the top of the hollow tree. We're the special door lied...

"Well? Open it!" Y/n said with excitement in her voice. I slowly put the key into the nose like hole and twisted it, the mouth opened to reveal a long corridor with twisted vines and spikes jagging out.

An unwelcome gift cold breeze hit us in the face. Y/N's face straitened, her eyes showing unknown emotion in them. I carefully stepped over the teeth of the door and Y/n followed suit.

Once we got to the end of the corridor, however, many, many, many stairs in columns of three stud in front of us. "Mama Mia..." was all I could get out, suddenly one of those possessors jumped out of nowhere and scared me, Y/n stud there with her eyes glued onto what was inside him. The dark moon piece!

~•Y/N's PoV•~

I could feel my eyes burning, looking towards the third piece of the moon. I tried to swiftly grab it out of him, however the possessor pulled away just in time a fled up the stairway...

"Well I guess we have this..." I huffed imagine annoyance. Scanning the first three staircases...I went middle, then left, right...Luigi then tried to go for the middle, however the stairs sank and became a slope, making Luigi slide all the way down and a greenie was laughing at him through the whole thing.

Luigi took care of the ghost and even came back up to me. "This is going to take too long..." he mumbled. I then had n idea, turning into my cat form I hopped onto the left staircase and it became a slope. "It's the right one." Luigi then went up the right staircase and he didn't fall.

"I guess this will be the fastest way to get through this," I meowed. Luigi simply nodded and I got to work on telling him which path to go.

~•TimeSkip•~

After finally getting up all those stairs we headed up to the treehouse. Luigi carefully walked up the staircase to hopefully get inside of the treehouse, only to be thrown off the staircase.

"What the-" I looked at the weird staircase, seeing it has eyes and a mouth with many sharp teeth. I hissed at it as it roared back, then I had that feeling once again...

~•Luigi's PoV•~
I looked over at Y/n, seeing the purple glow radiate from her, even though her pelt had turned back to blue... "y/n!" With no response and a large jaw coming our way, I picked her up and swiftly got out of the way. That's when I saw two things fly towards us. It's the dark moon pieces!

The staircase watched as Y/n was engulfed in a purple aura, when it disappeared, the large black cat with six purple eyes emerged, letting out a deafening roar at the Stairs. It tried to bite at Y/n, but she dodged, swatting it back and causing it to tumble. The haunted staircase then looked at me and jumped in the air, ready to crush me.

Luckily I dodged just in time and when the stairs hit the ground, it became silent, there was no movement. Y/n growled and jumped onto it, sending the possessor flying out and I had a go at capturing it, like the last time, it's white coat came off and it possessed the staircase once again.

The stairs then started to shoot fire balls out of its eyes, which only landed on the ground pathetically. They were easy to dodge, Y/n then did something amazing, she let out a burst of purple flames out of her mouth which forced the possessor out of the stairs, I took of its orange coat and it went back into hiding.

The haunted stairs roared at me, pushing me to the ground. And was about to set me alight, however Y/n leaped in front of me and took the hit. Causing some of her fur to burn in the process. The pain caused her to Shriek, and she did the unthinkable...her large body leaped at the stairs, and she bit into it, ripping the thing to pieces before finally scorching it with her fire.

The possessor was left battered and I put it out of its misery by finally capturing it and the dark moon piece shot out of the poltergust and onto the treehouse. "Great how are we supposed to get that?" I sighed heavily, Y/n then put her head down on the floor, "get on..." she mewed weakly. I knew she was loosing her strength, and she could turn back at any moment. So I quickly hop onto her head and she carefully lifts her self off the ground, I jumped onto the treehouse and picked up the dark moon piece.

Y/n then turned back to normal and the dark moon pieces left to go back to the lab. The exhausted girl then collapsed, a burn mark could be seen on her shoulder. "Hold on Y/n! I'm coming!" I jumped down and ran to her side, quickly calling E Gadd, "wow Luigi! That was quite a fight to watch! Now let's get you two back!"

Back at the lab, Y/n helped clean off the next dark moon piece, which revealed another new mansion. She was then healed by that weird magic, the one that when the two of us embrace and it heals both our wounds? Yeah that one.

"Now you two need some much needed rest, especially Y/n. Now go on, take a breather whilst I investigate the new mansion!" E Gadd said in excitement. I slowly nodded as me and y/n laid on the sofa together, finally out of those haunted towers...

(Btw this is what y/n's large cat form looks like)