Chapter 19: cold case

I opened my eyes, of course I fell asleep. I shuffled a little, looking beside me to see Luigi resting.

E Gadd turned around in his chair, "ah Y/n, your wake! Do you mind waking up Luigi for me? We have a new location to go to!"

I hummed in response and lightly shook my boyfriend awake, he groaned and opened his eyes, but one he looked at me he smiled and stood up.

"Alright what is it this time, E Gadd?" Luigi said, yawning. The professor clapped his hands together. "Son, I hope you like snow because our next destination is in the mountains, a secret mining operation started a while back, it's been abandoned ever since."

"Great...but why would they mine in such an area?" I questioned. "Apparently the minerals, especially —the crystals— have unusual properties."

"So the next dark moon piece is somewhere in that small cottage with a mining facility underneath," Luigi stated.

E Gadd nodded, "exactly, however the signals picked up by the parascope are unstable because of the terrible weather...good thing I hired a toad assistant to go up there!"

My eyes widened and I bared my teeth, "you-you let him go up there...all by himself?!" Luigi pulled me into a hug, more or less restrained me, and stared at E Gadd.

"Send us there now, otherwise Y/n will have your head on a platter..." E Gadd nodded and sent us away to the secret mine.

As soon as we landed face first into the snow, the cold air hit us and my hands were already freezing. The spruce wood cottage standing in front of us.

"Come on we need to find that toad!" I called to Luigi as I tried to run through the heaps of snow. Luigi immediately tackled me to the ground. "Can you at least calm down, I don't want you exhausted again."

I rolled my eyes and dusted the snow off my clothes. "Yeah yeah...but I just want to make sure the little guy is safe." I held a tight grip on my flashlight as I walked to the cottage door, Luigi following on.

Opening the door to the Chalet the warmth of the fireplace battled with the cold winds that come from outside. A hider that was hitting on the rocking chair was about to flee and hide however I flashed and captured it before it could get away.

Another hider and a sneaker attacked us, Luigi had a hard time trying to locate the hider whilst I kept on getting pushed to the ground. But after many bruises I took out the sneaker and Luigi could finally find the hider without anyone bothering him.

"Toad isn't here..." Luigi sighed, E Gadd then rung. "No sign of toad eh?"

I shook my head, "nope, nothing...other than this polar bear rug that's alive."

E Gadd then huffed and the keyboard sounded like it was crying because the old man was typing so angrily. "He's probably in the fishing shack outside! Go get him."

Luigi hung up and we eventually made are way outside. Toad was sealed in a painting inside the wooden shack, so when we entered I used the dark light, causing toad to land on his face. Ice cracking on impact.

"Luigi! Y/n you guys saved me!" Toad cheered, "your my hero's!" The gremlin's excitement got the best of him and even with our many warnings...he jumped and the ice broke beneath us...