40 | our happy ending

CHAPTER FOURTY

"today at 4 pm, jeon jeongguk was scheduled for his execution. but at approximately 3:56 pm several gunshots were heard going off from inside the building. after multiple officers stormed inside, they found the door to jeon's room to be locked, but once they made it in... a baffling discovery was awaiting them."

jeongguk's mind was blurring as he watched the doctor push down onto the syringe, pumping him full of the toxic injection. he already felt how he was being affected, his energy being drained out as he stopped tugging at the straps wrapped around his arms.

"no..." he muffled out, feeling himself get lost in a spiral. "no, no, no!" he started to choke on his breathing as his chest rose and fell erratically.

he heard a faint ringing echoing in his ear.

"stop... i don't wanna... don't wanna... alone... no..." he mumbled out, shaking and twisting his head against the hard material of the bed. "be alone–no! please! i don't wanna! hyung, hyung, hyung, please!" his cries were desperate, frail while being choked out.

then they came. several gunshots going off and screams heard.

jeongguk could barely process anything as the door to his room swung open, revealing a figure dressed in black carrying some sort of gun.

and it went off, empty bullet cases went flying and hit the floor with a clang, everyone surrounding jeongguk collapsed onto the ground, pools of blood forming around their lifeless bodies.

the teenager whimpered, his vision was hazy and things were spinning. he couldn't properly see.

he heard the clatter of a gun falling to the floor, and noticed how the figure approached him.

"please... i don't wanna..." he was still whimpering out, his breathing still a mess and his entire body trembled. "alone, no... i–hic–I don't... please–hic—" the poor boy started to hiccup as well.

"shh... hey, hey..." a velvet voice spoke gently, large hand making jeongguk's restraints coming undone before cupping his cheeks. but the younger's vision was so blurry that he couldn't make out the figure, his entire mind was in shambles.

"d-don't wanna be al-alone–hic–please..." the smaller desperately clutched at the man's wrists, eyes brimming with tears as they trickled down his face.

"It's okay, it's okay. i'm here, darling. hyung's here." the man brought his face down and pecked the other on his forehead, cradling the smaller boy in his arms. "you're okay, i'm here."

the smaller was still crying, he wasn't calming down.

"t-taehyung—" he sobbed out, one hand weakly clawing onto the man's shirt as he hopelessly sought after that recognisable warmth.

"yeah, taehyung's here." the man–taehyung–spoke softly, fingers threading through the ebony locks of the teen.

taehyung's orbs flicker over to the arm that was laying limp by jeongguk's side, the injection stabbed into his vein. the older noticed how much had already been pumped into the other.