chapter seventeen

wilbur frowned, "don't say that."

technoblade rolled his eyes, but turned and smiled slightly at wilbur. "you know i'm jokin'." wilbur's face brightened. "but if either of us die here, i hope it's me."

"oh come on man." wilbur punched technoblade's arm jokingly, and received a stuck-out tongue in return. before either of the two could say any more, the soil below gave way, sending the both of them crashing through what seemed to be a brick roof. techno landed first, the impact immediately taking the breath out of his lungs. not long after, wilbur landed right on top of his friend with a loud yelp. wilbur rolled off of techno, and the two laid side by side on the brick floor, out of breath.

technoblade groaned and placed his hands on his head. "please try not to crush me ever again, wilbur." techno's comment was followed only by silence. "wilbur?" still, no response. techno sat up, his body still aching from hitting the ground, and turned to wilbur. "will-" he choked on his words as he took in the scene before him.

wilbur's lifeless body laid only a few inches away. his legs were contorted, jutting out at awkward angles, and a sharp bone—a soot colored one strangely enough—had pierced the brunette's skull, fully impaling his head.

techno didn't stumble back in shock. he didn't scream in terror. he just sat there. staring. staring at the corpse of his friend, who had been joking with him only moments ago.

he wasn't fully aware of how long he had been sitting on the ground staring at wilbur's body, but his trance was broken as he felt two hands grasp his shoulders.

technoblade's eyes shot open, gasping for air as if he had just resurfaced from under an ocean. the world felt like it was spinning as his vision faded in and out unexpectedly. he couldn't take it anymore; it was too much. technoblade let out a bloodcurdling scream, gripping the sides of his face as hard as he could.

"techno."

everything seemed to calm instantaneously as a familiar voice made its way into technoblade's head. his eyes met the other's brown ones, and everything slowed back to a normal pace. his aching had subsided, as well as his scream.

wilbur held techno up firmly by the shoulders, staring him dead in the eyes. after several moments of hesitation, technoblade gained his ability to speak again. "w-will?"

wilbur smiled, opening his arms. "i'm here." tears welled up in techno's eyes as he quickly fell into wilbur's arms, wrapping him in a tight embrace. wilbur gasped as techno barreled into him, but was quick to hug back.

"i thought i lost you." technoblade sobbed into his companion's shoulder.

wilbur rested his chin on technoblade's shoulder. "you were the one that wasn't breathing for a hot minute." he forced a laugh.

"b-but i saw you." technoblade stuttered. "your body. you were dead."

wilbur tightened the hug. "you're not getting rid of me that easily."