Introduction

The blistering sun burned her skin. She just wanted to take a rest, get a nice hot meal, with a cool drink to bring her body temperature down. But she couldn't. She had work to do. She thought of maybe going for a swim after, or just lay on the grass and read her favourite book. Instead, she worked.

That's all she ever did, was work. The hot Arizona heat did not help her think of the rewards she would get after this. Instead, she tried her best to focus on what she was doing.

She pulled the cattle over the to barn so she could try for the fourth time today to milk her. She pulled the heifer into a small area where hay still, as there was no wind to move it. She tied up the cow to the post and grabbed a stool and placed it beside her, sitting down she looked at the utters and said a silent prayer. As she reached forward the cow let out a nose which made her pound her hooves into the hay. She jumped back and grabbed her chest, hoping the heifer would stay calm. Reaching forward again, she grasped the utters and started to gently squeeze them, and to her luck, milk squirted out. She leaned back and smiled, finally getting what she wanted.

Unfortunately for her, her luck ran dry. As quick as the sand moves in the wind, the heifer pulled up her back leg and kicked as hard as she could. The small bucket of milk tipped over, she groaned and fell off the tiny stool which she sat on. The pain was something different from the last few times that the cow had hit her. This time to white and black beast decided not to miss, it had hit her right in the face.

A laugh echoed through the barn and suddenly an arm grabbed her and helped her to her feet. She stood holding her face and quickly felt liquid slide down her cheek into her hand.

"That was quite the kick she got." The voice laughed once again.

"I would love to see you do better." She scuffed.

He chuckled again and pulled out a small white cloth and pulled it towards her face. She flinched away and realized what he was doing, locking eyes for a moment, she let him place the cloth on her face.

"What were you even doing?" He asked inspecting her battle wound.

"Trying to milk her!" She explained.

"Elle." he put his hand down from her face. "You know Jess is the worst cow when it comes to giving milk."

"But you always do it and she's fine with you, so I thought-"

"Here, just let me show you." He fixed the stool and she grabbed the bucket.

As he sat down she placed the bucket under Jess's utters and he smiled up at her. He then showed her the right way to milk the picky cow which made milk appear and flow out of her with no problem.

"I do not understand this cow." Elle scuffed.

"You just have to be patient, take your time with her." he picked up the now full bucket of milk and smiled down at the heifer. He then handed her the small cloth.

She reached out and touched her cheek to feel the hot crimson liquid fall from her face. Looking down at the cloth once again, she saw that her blood had painted it red, leaving it no longer white.