Chapter 44

𝓗𝓲𝓼 𝓽𝓸𝓾𝓬𝓱 𝔀𝓪𝓼 𝓯𝓲𝓻𝓮 𝓸𝓷 𝓱𝓮𝓻 𝓼𝓴𝓲𝓷.

"I thought we got them all in this area." Doc said taking off his hat.

"I thought the same, but Eliza's gone." Elle frowned, "I have a feeling they crossed the broader."

Emily and Kurt let Doc and Elle stay in the barn for the time being, as the spare room was still pained with the blood of her friend. Ellanora didn't complain. The night was chilly, but the few horses kept it warm, along with the hay, and lantern.

"We have to go after them." Doc said coughing.

Elle shook her head, "There's no use." She placed her gun on the ledge of the saddle hook. "Wyatt's in California now. Turkey Creek and Texas Jack are somewhere over the boarder."

"We could both do it." Doc suddenly was overcome by a coughing fit, causing him to have to sit down on the blanket Ellanora had placed over some hay.

Elle reached for his water canister that hung from his saddle, and sat down next to him, rubbing his back as he coughed into his handkerchief. He pulled it away from his mouth for a moment and Elle saw blood had painted the white silk red. Doc glanced at Elle who looked away before he saw her staring.

"We can't Doc, not in your condition." Elle said sadly.

Doc looked at her, "My condition?" He scuffed, "You make it sound like I can't do anything."

"I never said that." Elle said narrowing her eyes.

Doc rolled his eyes and coughed again. Elle handed him the water and he took a drink, clearing the blood from his throat.

"I'm sorry Elle." He whispered into the night.

Elle looked to the hay and then over to him. "It's okay, we'll be okay."

She leaned her head on his shoulder, and looked out over to him. Doc weakly smiled and leaned his head on hers.

Kurt pulled the cows along the mud path and out into the field. The sun was just coming up over the hill as his work day was just beginning. Doc Holliday emerged from the barn in black slacks, black boots and a white button up. He rolled his sleeves up as he approached Kurt. They had made an agreement that if Elle and Doc were to stay for a while, they would help out around the farm. So, there Doc Holliday was, famous gunslinger, gambler, wild drinker, helping move cows into the field for the day.

Elle came from the barn not long after, in black jeans, and a blue button up. She left her hat in the barn as she walk out into the field. She watched for a moment as Doc helped Kurt pull the cows from the barn to the gates of the lush fields.

Kurt looked up and waved to her, smiling back she waved as well. Doc, who was turned away from Ellanora and didn't see her standing on the other side of the fence, turned to see Elle in the morning light. Her dirty blonde hair lay joyfully across her shoulders, and shined in the sun. Her skin glowed and her eyes sparkled once she smiled to Doc. Doc smiled to her and she chuckled and waved. She then turned away from the men and walked up towards the house where Emily was sitting with her baby, on the front deck.

"So how did you two meet?" Kurt asked drawing the attention back to the cows.

"She came into Tombstone, just passing through. The first time I saw her she had helped drag a bunch of drunks out of a bar with Texas Jack and Turkey Creek." Doc chuckled. "She stood there and I swear I had never seen anything quite as beautiful as her." He gaze wandered to the house where She sat with Emily, laughing at little Calvin.