Chapter 36

𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓻𝓪𝓬𝓮 𝔀𝓪𝓼 𝓸𝓷.

Elle walked down the stairs as carefully as she could. A few days had passed since she first got up from bed and this was the first time she got up without anyone else around. She was sore, stiff when she walked, but the pain was gone now, making it easier to do things on her own. She turned the corner and saw Emily with her baby boy, Curtis. Ellanora smiled as she bounced him on her hip, his giggles filling the room.

Emily turned and saw Elle leaning on the wall, "You got up on your own?" She questioned rushing to her.

Elle put her hands up to her and laughed, "Yeah, I'm feeling a lot better now."

Emily looked down and saw Elle was even wearing pants. "I see the pants couldn't wait any longer."

Elle scuffed, "I don't understand how you can wear a dress, but power to ya." She laughed.

Curtis turned to Elle and reached his hands out for Elle to hold her, "I think he wants you." Emily said smirking.

"Oh no no, I don't do the baby thing." Elle backed away from the kid.

"Oh come on," Emily filled the gap between them, "he doesn't bite." She teased.

"No thanks Emily, I'll pass."

"So you'll kill men and run from the law but, you won't hold a baby?" Emily gave Elle a look.

Elle thought for a moment, "Sounds about right!" She laughed, making Curtis laugh.

Kurt came around the corner, he lay the hat on his head and smiled to Emily and his baby. "I need your eyes for the new fence." He said.

"Oh perfect! Ellanora can hold the baby." Emily then pushed Curtis into her arms making Elle stand very still.

"Can't you take him outside with you?" Elle said as they walked out the door.

Emily turned around, "No I'd have to go get his hat, it's too sunny for him." And with that she turned away leaving Elle with a babbling Curtis.

The child turned to Elle and giggled as Elle gave him a confusing look. Fixing his posture in her arms, she slowly bounced the kid just like Emily had done before. Elle was nervous of dropping Curtis so she was being as careful as possible. The baby started to laugh and giggle at Elle making her crack a smile.

"Okay kid," she sighed, "You're actually pretty cute." She then and bounced him again, causing him to laugh uncontrollably.

Ellanora leaned in and blew raspberries into his stomach, making Curtis roar with giggles. Elle started it again and giggled when he did. His blue eyes sparkled with life, he was just this innocent kid. Nothing to worry about, no wars to fight. Just a carefree child, with a mother and father who loved him very much.

Turning to the door Elle stopped laughing when she saw Doc Holliday, grinning, watching her and Curtis laugh and giggle at each other. Her cheeks burned red as Doc approached them, Curtis still recovering from a laughing fit.

"I thought you weren't a baby person?" Doc smirked as he lay his hat on the table.

"I-I'm not, Emily had to go outside and just wanted me to watch him."

"But you sounded like you were laughing."

"You're hearing things Holliday." Elle turned away from him, lifting Curtis up higher on her hip.

She heard him shifted closer to her, leaning into her ear he whispered, "It's good to hear you laugh."

His voice sent chills up Ellanora's spine, she glanced over her shoulder and caught the gaze of Doc. He leaned close to her ear, his breath on her neck. "I could say the same for you, but I never hear you laugh." She mused.

Doc grinned and tapped Curtis on the nose as Wyatt walked into the house. He stopped in the doorway and chuckled, "Well if I was a stranger I would mistake you two for a lovely couple with your new kid."

Elle scuffed and turned away from Wyatt. Doc raised an eyebrow at Wyatt who laughed at his friends. The two men watched Elle walk up the stairs to put Curtis away.

"Is there something happening between you two?" Wyatt asked as Doc picked up his hat.

"Don't be ridiculous," he scuffed, "what makes you think that?"

Wyatt sighed, "Well, as I've stated before, you always worry about her." Doc rolled his eyes, "You never leave her side. And I walk in here with you whispering into her ear!"

"I was talking to the baby." Doc said in defence.

"Curtis? The kid?" Wyatt raised in eyebrow, "Doc you hate children."

"I can change."

"Doubt that." Wyatt muttered.

I gunshot came from outside making Wyatt and Doc look at each other. Both men ran outside and saw McMaster's racing done the valley on his horse, another few men were on his tail. Emily raced to the men with Kurt behind her.

"It's cowboys." Emily said breathless.

Elle came running out of the house and saw the red sashes in the far distance. Turning to Wyatt, she saw his gaze fall on the cowboys, panic clouded his eyes.

"We've got to get out of here. Before they see that we're staying at the house." Elle said frantically.

"If they see we're here, they'll kill Emily, Kurt and the baby." Doc whispered to his friend.

Wyatt looked at Emily and Kurt and nodded to Doc.

"Stay in the house, but get your guns. Don't shoot or open the door." Wyatt told Kurt as Emily rushed up the stairs to her baby.

The three men raced to the barn and mounted their horses. Kurt ran back out of the house and handed the men their bags, along with a small bag of food.

"Good luck." He told them.

"Thank you, for everything." Elle said holding his hand. Kurt nodded and raced back to the house to his wife and child.

Elle shifted in her saddle and saw red blood start to seep through her pants, on her thigh. Doc looked at her and shook his head.

"You can't ride like that!" He coughed out.

"I don't really have any other choice now Doc!" She yelled back.

"Enough both of you!" Wyatt yelled. He picked up his gun from his hip and looked at the two. "You've got to go, now!"