Chapter 19

𝓦𝓱𝓸 𝓷𝓮𝓮𝓭𝓼 𝓪 𝓶𝓸𝓽𝓲𝓿𝓮?

After finding climbing out of the river and finding their horses, Doc and Elle began to ride to the north side the of woods.

"Tell me this darlin'," Holliday started, "you seemed pretty eager to join this vendetta." He looked over at her in the darkness, "What's your motive?"

"Motive?"

"Y'know," he thought for a moment, "what makes you wanna kill cowboys."

Elle looked at Doc and said nothing. "Do I need one?"

"Not necessarily. McMasters wants to get back at everything the cowboys have done to him. Turkey, Texas want to ride because the cowboys are causing problems for them."

"What about you?" Ellanora asks looking towards the trees.

"Wyatt is my friend, he has my word." Doc said calmly. Elle looked at him and then locked away.

"They killed my friend." She said softly.

Doc looked at her as she looked straight ahead. "Marshall White?"

Elle opened her mouth but closed it. She wondered if she wanted to tell him, or just drop the conversation. But She looked at Doc with a solemn eyes.

"I see." Doc said quietly. She quickly looked away and the two rode in silence.

Upon reaching Wyatt, Turkey Creek, Texas Jack, and McMasters, the moon was high in the night sky.

"I suspect you got rid of those law men." McMasters said to Wyatt.

"I out ran them." He said smirking. Wyatt then turned to Doc and Elle who were still soaked from their adventures in the river. "What happened to you two?"

"You gave us the river, remember?" Elle said unamused. Doc chuckled and then started coughing.

"We should ride on." Texas Jack suggested.

"I agree." Doc interrupted, "The faster we get away from Tucson the better." He said whipping his mouth.

"Alright, let's go then." Wyatt said and then wiped his horse with the reins and the group raced after him.

They travelled for all night. The stars and moon started to dissolve into the morning sky as the air started to warm up. Finding it hard to keep her eyes open, Elle looked up to the morning sun and caught its gaze. She didn't really know where they were. She hoped they were far from Tombstone and Tucson. Ellanora didn't want to go back. She thought of Morgan and his dead body on the pool table. She then thought of the eyes of the lifeless cowboy she had killed. She closed her eyes for a moment, trying to push the image away. It had haunted her dreams at night. Just like his eyes did many moons ago. She always saw his face.

Opening her eyes, she looked back ahead as Wyatt started to close down his horse.

"There's a small village up ahead." Wyatt said coming to a complete stop. "Do cowboys hang out there often?" He asked McMasters.

The man took off his head and whipped the sweat from his forehead, "There's always some hanging around, yes."

The group looked to the distance and saw a small village, with what looked like six buildings in total.

"We're gonna need an inside eye." Texas Jack said.

"In what capacity?" Doc questioned.

"Well," Jack scratched his chin, "we can't just storm the town expectin' then to be there."

Wyatt nodded his head and looked around the group. "If Doc and I go we'd be a deadman, so would McMasters."

"Us two, we're not the best either." Turkey said chuckling.

The group turned to Elle who had sleep in her eyes. She looked back around the men and realized what they were asking of her. Her eyes grew wide in shock and she laughed.

"Oh no! I'm not going in there alone." She said shaking her head.

"Ellanora, your the only one the cowboys wouldn't know!" Wyatt said shaking his reins are her in anticipation.

Elle looked back at Wyatt and then the small village. Groaning she agreed to go in. After making a plan, Elle left the group and started off to the village alone.

Upon entering, she was greeted by some townsfolk wandering around the streets going about their business. This village didn't have a name because it was so new, but it was also way smaller then Tombstone.

Not knowing what she was doing, she stopped Ash in front of the saloon and walked inside. A drunk man from the night before hung over a piano playing on keys that formed a song. The barkeep cleaned some cups and smiled when she was spotted in the doorway. Looking around she saw the building was fairly new. The smell of fresh food still floated in the air.

"Hey there darling." The barkeep said smiling. Elle nodded her head towards him. "What can I get ya?"

"Oh nothing I'm just passing through." She said, Elle leaned on the bar and asked "Have you seen any men with red sashes on their person?"

Before the man could answer, an odd sounding note came from the drunk piano player. Elle looked over at him as he stood up from the stool and looked Elle straight in the eyes. Glancing down, Ellanora spotted a red sash on his hip.

"And what about it sweetheart?" He stumbled over to her and watched her his his dark eyes.

The words had escaped Elle's lips. But she formed something. "I just heard about you, thats all."

"Nothing bad I hope."

"Depends on what part of the state your in."

The drunk man glared at her, "I have a bad feeling about you darling."

"Don't call me darling." She growled back.

He stepped closer, "You've got this attitude. I don't like it."

"Get used to it."

The cowboy pulled out his gun and put it to her head. "Or Not." He laughed, "I could just press the trigger and get rid of you right now."

"Come on now Fred, take this outside." The barkeep pleaded.

"No!" He yelled, "I'd love to see her blood painting your walls."

Suddenly a silver gun pointed its barrel at the drunk cowboys temple. Elle looked over and saw it was Doc Holliday. "Not if I paint it first."