Chapter 43

𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓿𝓪𝓵𝓵𝓮𝔂 𝔀𝓪𝓼 𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓮𝓽. 𝓗𝓮𝓻 𝓼𝓹𝓲𝓻𝓲𝓽 𝔀𝓪𝓼 𝓰𝓸𝓷𝓮.

"We should head off." Doc said from behind Ellanora.

It had been only an hour since Wyatt departed from the group. Doc and Elle both on their horses, stood on a hill looking down over the train station.

"I think we should head back to Eliza." Elle said not looking at Doc.

She turned Ash around and started walking him down the hill, Doc soon followed.

"The town's not that far from here, maybe two, three hours."

"I need to know if she's alright." Elle said softly.

Doc nodded as they both rode to the town where Eliza was.

Upon arrival, the town was just how they left it, but this time, without the presence of the cowboys. People walked the streets in peace, children played and men smoked cigarettes. Ellanora saw a group of ladies walking down the street, some of whom she remembered as Eliza's girls. One of them was Missy.

When Missy saw Elle on her horse, Doc next to her, she came running up, her face beaming with joy.

"Oh Miss Raycroft your alright!" She said as Elle jumped off Ash.

"Yes, I'm alright." She smiled, "Where's Eliza?"

Missy frowned, making Elle panic. "Not sure." Missy said as her orange curls shook with her head, "About a week ago the cowboys got real bad here. She mentioned something about going to a farm where a friend was. She left only this morning."

Elle looked up at Doc who narrowed his eyes, "She went back to Emily." Elle said.

"Probably looking for you." Doc said looking up the road, towards the direction of Emily's farm. The path he took that night with Elle in his arms.

"Well I wish you both the best of luck." Missy said as Elle looked back to her.

"Thank you Missy, be careful alright?" Elle said as Missy hugged her one last time.

Jumping back on Ash, she looked towards Doc to guide her to Emily's ranch.

Elle worried for Eliza. She was a motherly figure to Ellanora. Her mother and Eliza were good friends, she couldn't lose Eliza.

Upon arriving after a long ride to Emily's ranch, Eliza say her husband Kurt, in the field with the cattle. As they approached the man, he seemed tired, and worn out. His eyes felt sad and uncomfortable when he saw Elle.

"Mr Harris, did Miss Eliza Raymound arrive today?" Doc asked.

Kurt took off his hat and looked towards the house.

"Oh no." Elle whispered as she slipped off her saddle and raced towards the house.

Her boots it the mud below her feet, making it fly up on her pants, making her movement heavy. Her hat flew off in her race out of the field and up the steps on the porch.

Slamming the door open she climbed up the stairs and stopped, blood had been dripped throughout the hallway and into the room Elle once stayed. Moving closer to the door she looked in and saw Emily sitting next to the bed. Her pale blue dress was covered in blood and her hands held the pale ones of Eliza.

At a loss of words, Elle stood there shaking as she saw Eliza laying there, blood coming from her stomach, as a wound had punctured its way into her body. Her friend, Eliza.

Stepping closer, Emily looked up with tears in her eyes. She sniffled and stood from the chair. Emily moved away from Eliza's body as Elle moved closer. Her footsteps had become heavy and her vision blurred as tears started to prick her eyes.

Her makeup was smudged and ruined on her face. Eliza's eyes were closed and her hair a mess. Elle wasn't used to seeing her in such disarray.

Elle sat on the chair where Emily sat and reached for Eliza's hands, they were still warm, but fading into coldness fast. Leaning forward Elle placed her hand on Eliza's cheek and let out a sob. Soon enough, the girl was shaking and lay her head on the shoulder of her friend. Her family.

Doc Holliday stood in the doorway, as soon as Elle sat in the chair. He watched helplessly as Ellanora's last surviving family was being taken from her. Doc looked to Emily who stood in the corner, tears streaming down her face.

The wind blew through her hair as she closed her eyes, taking in the last bit of sunlight before night came.

Kurt and Doc had dug a hole for them to place Eliza's body in. They lay her on top of the hill, overlooking the ranch. Elle wanted to bring her back to the house where her mother and father were, but the trip would be too long. Now, the hill was guarded by a wooden cross, with Eliza's name carved into it.

Emily stood next to Elle on the hill, over looking the ranch. Doc and Kurt had returned back to herd the cows for the night.

"She arrived her this morning." Emily said softly. "She had been shot by cowboys." Elle turned to Emily has she said those words.

"But we just took care of the rest of the cowboys." Elle said.

Emily nodded, "She said these men were hiding in town for a while. Told me she felt unsafe and needed to find you again."

"She got shot on the way over?" Elle asked.

"We never saw anything, but yes she did."

Elle looked out over the valley. If cowboys shot her, then they might still be around.

"She wanted you to have this." Emily pulled out an envelope with the name Anna Elle Peterson in Eliza's handwriting. "You're welcomed to stay as long as you need." Emily said before making her way down the hill.

Elle watched the young women walk down the hills and then turned back to Eliza's grave. Fresh dirt covered the ground around the grassy hill. She looked down at the envelope and slowly broke the wax seal. Opening it, a small amount of cash was inside. Looking at the letter she read it.

Dear Anna,

I know you don't like that name anymore but you will always be little Anna to me. If you're reading this letter then I have met my unfortunate fate. But that's life isn't it? People come and go, we just have to move on and grow as much as we can.

I hope you keep yourself safe, and know that running isn't always the answer. You've got a good batch of men on your side. Please don't lose them. Especially that Doc Holliday. He's a good man and cares for you very much.

I love you my dear, you will always be my little Anna. Your Mother and Father would be so proud of you.

Yours Forever,
Eliza Raymound

Placing the letter in her pocket, Elle watched as the sun set over the valley. She found peace in what was happening in the world around her. She just wanted to let go.