Chapter 5

𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓵𝓪𝓬𝓮 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝓳𝓮𝔀𝓮𝓵𝓼 𝔀𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓷𝓸𝓽 𝓱𝓮𝓻

"Ow!" Elle yelled as Allie tightened the strings on the corset.

"Oh I'm sorry dear." Allie said finally tying the strings around her hips and then on a bow in the back.

"How do you breathe in this?" Elle asked as she let go of the bed frame, which she needed to hold onto while Allie laced her up.

"You get used to it." She waved her question away and grabbed another layer to go over the corset.

"If you don't mind me askin'," Elle said as Allie threw the next layer over her head. "How did you and Virgil met?"

Allie stopped what she was doing, to tell the story or to give Elle a break, Ellanora didn't know but she turned and watched Allies eyes fill with love.

"I was a waitress on Council Bluffs, Iowa. He was just so, mysterious and handsome." She giggled as her cheeks flushed pink. "From the moment I saw him, I knew he was gonna be my old man."

Elle's lips curled into a small smile, she had never seen the soft side of Virgil, so hearing about it was funny to her.

"What about you Elle," Allie said turning to grab some jewelry from the box she had with her, "have you ever been in love?" Allie turned and set Elle down in the chair in front of the vanity. She then started to pin Elle's hair up, watching her face drop in the reflection.

"Once, but it was a long time ago." She frowned as Allie stayed silent, deciding not to push on an obvious sensitive subject for Elle.

"Well maybe there will be one lucky man at the show tonight, just waiting to sweep you off your feet."

"Oh no," Elle laughed, "I don't need any man to sweep me off my feet. I'm just fine on my own."

Allie had finished pinning Ellanora's hair and stood back and looked at her, as if Elle was a painting she had just finished. Putting her hands on her hips, Allie smiled and nodded in approval. "You look amazing Ellanora! You should wear dresses more often!"

"But how am I supposed to care a gun with all these... layers?" Elle said standing up from the vanity.

As Elle stood, she gazed at her reflection and was shocked herself. She was a completely different women. Her hair was neatly pinned on her head as a bun. Her dress, was as dark as the night, with hints of purple. The white crystals shined in the candle light. A knock was heard at the door and Allie opened it to see Vigil.

"Oh Darling you look beautiful!" He told his wife. They exchanged a kiss as Elle continued to gaze at herself.

Virgil looked behind Allie and saw Elle looking at her reflection. "Why Miss Raycroft..." her name was drawn out on his lips. Elle looked over at him and saw his face, he was as shocked as she was. "Allie you did an amazing job."

"I think it's one of my best makeovers yet." Allie said proudly, "but of course the true beauty is from Miss Raycroft's natural beauty."

Elle gave a small smile and awkwardly grabbed a shawl and the purse that Allie let her barrow. "Ladies," Virgil said once they got out into the road. He put his arm out for Allie which is took with no problem, Elle on the other hand, didn't want his arm to hold, Virgil just shrugged and laughed at the stubborn women.

Elle had to admit she did look beautiful. She had never felt to beautiful in her whole life. But, she was cold, and uncomfortable, and she felt awkward. This wasn't her. As the cold night breeze brushed through the town, she longed for her pants and boots.