Chapter 42

𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓲𝓻 𝓫𝓸𝓷𝓭 𝓬𝓸𝓾𝓵𝓭 𝓷𝓮𝓿𝓮𝓻 𝓫𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓴, 𝓯𝓸𝓻 𝓽𝓱𝓮𝔂 𝓪𝓻𝓮 𝓫𝓻𝓸𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓼 𝓾𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓼𝓾𝓷.

The next morning Wyatt woke to the sun coming over the horizon. It's warm glow painted the sky with oranges and pinks. Standing up he stretched and felt his bones crack in satisfaction. He saw the fire dead with the logs black with ash. Texas Jack and Turkey Creek were still sleeping near the lifeless fire, so Wyatt let them sleep some more before they would leave for the boarder. The horses shuffled their hooves on the grass as Wyatt saw that Doc Holliday and Ellanora were not where their sleeping spots were laid out. Picking up his hat, he placed it on his head and looked towards the trees.

There he saw Doc Holliday leaned against the tree, head back and eyes closed. Elle's head lay in his lap as she was curled up next to him. Doc hand rested over Elle as the two slept under the tree from the night before.

Wyatt smiled at the two and thought of how he was right. They were something.

Turning back towards the sun Wyatt thought of his own love life. He reminded himself of Mattie. Once the two were madly in love but the years rolled by and they seemed to fall apart. He was busy with work, so she got addicted to opioids. Mattie begged Wyatt not to leave her in California but Wyatt pushed her away and insisted he leave for his ride. Mattie told Wyatt it was over. His mind then wandered to Josephine Markus. The actress he met when he lived in Tombstone. Josephine caused a break in Mattie and Wyatt relationship but Wyatt found himself drawn to the young actress rather then Mattie.

All Wyatt wanted was a normal life. Maybe with Josephine. But he didn't deserve it.

Footsteps came up from behind Wyatt. Texas Jack and Turkey Creek were awake and packing their things. Wyatt nodded to his friends knowing that he were leaving. Earp then walked over to the couple sleeping under the tree. He wanted so much for them to come to California with him, but he knew they had other plans. Wyatt didn't want to interrupt their time together. Wyatt lightly kicked Doc on the leg making him stir and open his eyes.

Doc looked up and saw Wyatt standing over him. Looking down he saw Elle sleeping in his lap. Moving a little, Elle stirred and opened her eyes to see Wyatt looking down at her. The girl looked where her laid was and shot up in embarrassment, causing the back of her head to knock on the tree behind her.

"Ow! Jesus Wyatt! Don't scare me like that." She groaned while rubbing the back of her head.

"You saw me standing here." Wyatt chuckled as Elle turned red.

"Whatever." She mumbled standing up.

Doc stood next to her and Wyatt looked back to camp. The two men were already packed and horses loaded ready to go.

"It's time for us to go." Texas Jack said.

The trio looked at each other and made their way to their two friends who were ready to leave. It was bittersweet. The two men climbed on their horses and looked to the three with pride.

"Thank you for everything." Wyatt said softly.

"Anything for a brother." Turkey Creek said.

"You three stay safe now." Texas Jack said, he winked at Elle who smiled at him.

Saying one final goodbye, the two men nodded to their brothers and rode off down the valley and out of sight. Elle watched them disappear over the horizon as Doc and Wyatt went back to camp and started packing.

"I'm going to California alone." Wyatt told Doc as he rolled up the blanket from the ground.

Doc looked at Wyatt and nodded. He glanced at Elle who was up by the trees, away from earshot.

Doc wanted to tell Wyatt about the conversation he had with Elle the night before. He mind wondered if it was the right call to tell his friend that he proposed. A part of him wanted too, but he was scared of Wyatt telling him that he was dying. That his time with Elle would be very limited. He knew that, but he didn't want to hear it from Wyatt.

"Where are you going?" Wyatt asked.

Doc sighed and coughed a little. "I'm not sure. Kate is not pleased. I'll find something. I always do." Doc smirked.

"California will always be there if you want to stop by." Wyatt said smiling.

Doc nodded to his friend and got back to packing his things.

Elle had made her way back to camp and started packing her things as well. She had realized that this was their last camp together. Wyatt told her there was a train station nearby that he would take to get to California. So that's where they were headed.

The ride was quiet. They didn't run or race down the valley in a chase. Just the the three of them. The sounds of nature and the Arizona wildlife was all that surrounded them. The blistering sun hung heavy in the sky as the train station came into view.

The three of them got off their horses and Wyatt gave his black beauty to a boy who loaded the horse on the train. Wyatt bought his ticket and walked back out to Doc and Elle. The train rolled up as no one spoke a word.

"Well." Wyatt said breaking the air. "I guess this is goodbye."

Elle shook her head, "I don't believe so. I think we'll meet again." Wyatt smiled softly, "Someday."

"Someday." Wyatt said back.

"We've said goodbye once Wyatt," Doc started, "and we always seem to cross paths." Wyatt chuckled at his friend.

The two men shook hands and nodded. The friendship was very strong with them, and they knew they would see each other again.

Wyatt turned to Elle who let a breath out of her lungs. She huffed back her emotions as Wyatt looked down at her. In that moment, Wyatt felt truly like a brother to her. An older brother who she wanted to be like. Strong and determined to be the best version of herself. Elle looked up and saw the gleam in his eyes. It filled her with hope.

Wyatt took off his badge from his chest and handed it to Elle. She looked down at its scuffed silver and smiled up to Wyatt.

"We are brothers." She looked to Doc as well. "We are joined by blood and pain. My brother under the sun." Elle feel forward and wrapped her arms around Wyatt and embraced him.

Wyatt slowly out his arms around her and hugged her back.

"Tell Virgil, thank you." She whispered into his ear.

"I will." Wyatt said into her hair.

The two broke off as the train whistled in the station, telling the passengers to get on board. Wyatt picked up his small back and turned to his two friends.

"Take care, will ya." Wyatt said smirking to Doc. Doc rolled his eyes smirking. "Stay out of trouble Holliday."

He chuckled and tipped his hat one last time towards Elle. Watching with soft eyes, they watched as Wyatt got on the train and sat in his seat. The train began to move and turn its wheels. It's whistle rang through the sky as it started to chug forward. Wyatt saved to the two standing at the edge of the station. Soon enough, Wyatt could no longer be seen and the train moved on down its tracks. Elle and Doc stood there watching as the train moved on to his destination.

Elle slipped her hand into Doc's, as they watched Wyatt slip away from them.