Chapter 53

𝓖𝓸𝓸𝓭𝓫𝔂𝓮

Ellanora sat on the front steps of the sanatorium, the wind blowing in the trees as she rubbed her eyes of sleep.

She waited on the steps as the city moved with life. Behind the trees, she saw women and men walk the streets of the town, going about their days, not worried for death behind the walls of the sanatorium.

Closing her eyes again, she soaked in the sun and let the cool air fill her lungs. Opening them again, she gave up on waiting and stood up. Turning away, she started back up the steps but stopped once she heard a familiar voice.

"Ellanora Raycroft."

Turning around, she was greeted by a face she had longed to see.

"Wyatt." She breathed out.

Running to him, she wrapped her arms around his neck and hugged him. He returned the hug and smiled into her shoulder. Elle felt safe, she felt warm in his embrace.

Pulling away, another figured emerged from the trees from the city.

"Virgil." Elle chocked out.

Virgil stood there, his arm bent around his chest, but he still held himself with pride. Tall and graceful, he dawned his black hat and coat.

Elle looked to the older man, who seemed to age years in another a few short months. She stepped closer and let her tears fall as Virgil embraced the women with his one good arm.

Pulling away Elle smiled, "I'm glad you came." Her smile faded.

"Of course." Virgil said softly. "I wanted to see you again, but not under such circumstances."

Wyatt looked at the sanatorium, as if it was a great enemy to him. Ellanora looked to Wyatt and nodded.

"How is he?" Wyatt asked.

Elle frowned to her friend. She shook her head, "Not well."

Wyatt hesitated but he nodded.

"You can go see him." Elle said softly.

Wyatt nodded again as he made his way up the steps.

"We should let them talk alone." Virgil said putting his arm around Ellanora's shoulders.

The girl nodded as Elle guided him out to the garden where Doc and Elle would sometimes sit. The two sat on the bench and Virgil chuckled to himself.

"I can't believe you're alive."

"What, you thought I'd die?" The women chuckled back.

Virgil shook his head, "Wyatt told me everything, it's just," he hesitated, "you're a very brave women Ellanora."

Elle blushed and looked down. "I killed people." She said shamefully.

"For a good reason, as messed up as that sounds."

Elle looked to the trees. "Did he tell you about..."

Virgil nodded. "He told me everything my dear."

The two sat in silence for a moment, "I'm sorry about everything that happened." Virgil said clearing the air.

Elle brushed him off, "I'm just glad we all made it out okay." She frowned as she remembered that Doc was in the building dying.

"What did you do once Wyatt left to California?" Virgil asked turning to her.

Elle kinda laughed to herself, "Just," she stopped, glancing down at the ring on her finger, hiding her hand in her pocket, "travelled around with Doc."