Chapter 41

𝓢𝓱𝓮 𝓱𝓪𝓭 𝓷𝓸𝓽𝓱𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓵𝓮𝓯𝓽 𝓽𝓸 𝓻𝓾𝓷 𝓯𝓻𝓸𝓶.

The trio made it back to Turkey Creek and Texas Jack, who were standing over the dead bodies of cowboys who tried to kill them.

Going back to Hooker Ranch they buried McMaster's in the field outside the ranch. Elle told the gang the horrors she saw with the cowboys and Ringo, and the unfortunate fate of their friend.

Henry Hooker helped Elle with her wounds and bandaged her up for a quick recovery. The pain had filled her body for days and now was finally eased once Henry Hooker took care of her.

With nothing left holding the cowboys together, the gang went off and finished what they started. Traveling to valley to valley, town to town, they did their job. They killed the cowboys.

Racing down fields in their horses, gun in hand, they finished off their final groups in the area. Elle was on her boy Ash, racing down the valley towards Ike Clanton, who caused so many problems for the gang. Ike looked back in panic and saw how close Ellanora was to him and panicked. Untying his red sash he threw it back and yelled for mercy. Elle watched the red sash fly past her in the wind as she slowed down on Ash.

Doc Holliday and Wyatt Earp now rode next to Elle as they watched Ike run off in fear for his life. Smiling, she looked at Wyatt who had a proud smile across his face. It was the first time in a long time that Elle saw the middle Earp brother truly happy. Looking at Doc, his eyes were soft and a smirk danced on his lips.

Later that evening the group had set up camp in the valley where the night sky danced with colours. The Milky Way shined above them as the faint noise of crickets and the fire cracking filled the air.

"It was a good ride." Texas Jack said sighing.

"Sure was." Turkey Creek said proudly.

Elle leaned against a tree, watching the men chat and drink.

"To our fallen friend, McMaster's." Wyatt said raising his cup. The men all nodded and drank to that. Elle smiled and played with the grass she picked from the ground.

"To a brighter tomorrow." Wyatt said again smiling, but pain painted his eyes.

"To brothers." Elle spoke up from under the tree.

The men all looked at her and drank.

"To brothers under the sun." Doc said softly smiling at Elle.

Some time had passed and the others had gone to sleep after a few drinks. Doc however was sitting across from Elle who watched the stars above her. Doc leaned back on the tree he was under and watched the girls eyes twinkle in the moonlight.

Wyatt who had been sitting down in the valley walked back up the hill and towards the two sitting in front of each other.

"I was thinking," Wyatt put his hands on his hips. "I think we should go to California."

"Why." Elle asked looking away from the stars.

"Well," Wyatt put his hands down, "Virgil is up there, he and the women."

Doc looked up at his friend, "That sounds like something you should do."

"I agree." Elle chimed in.

"But Virgil is your friend too Ellanora."

Sue nodded, "But he needs his blood brother right now, not us."

Wyatt looked to the ground. "Maybe you're right." He mumbled. "The other guys are headed to the boarder. They're leaving tomorrow morning."

Elle looked over at Turkey Creek and Texas Jack who were sleeping by the crackling fire. Elle nodded and sighed.

"I'm going to get some sleep." Wyatt said before nodded his head and walking back towards the fire.

Elle leaned her head back and looked back up to the stars. Their shine made her feel warm and safe. Like nothing was the matter. But something was eating at her.

"What's on your mind?" Doc asked her.

Elle didn't look at him as she spoke, "What's gonna happen now? I've been running all my life and my reason to run is gone. I don't know what to do with myself."

Doc looked at Elle, "What about Eliza?"

Elle scuffed, rolling her eyes. "Eliza is wonderful don't get me wrong, but I could never stay with her." Elle looked away from the stars and to Doc, "I don't even know if she's alive." Huffing she closed her eyes. "Wyatt is going home with family, what about you?" Opening her eyes she looked at Doc.

Doc sighed and shook his head, "I don't know. Kate isn't too pleased with me I'm sure so that's a messy path."

"I understand." She said quietly.

Silence overcame the the two, no words were exchanged as Elle looked up to the stars.

"What if we went somewhere together?" Doc asked.

Elle chuckled and looked at him. "In what capacity?"

He shrugged, "I have nothing to give you. Just my love and compassion."

"John Holliday are you purposing?" Elle asked with a smirk.

He smirked back, "Possibly." He whispered. "I have no money, no ring, no possessions. I can't give you a house, a farm, a comfortable bed. I know I don't have much time left," his eyes grew sad, "But I want my last few years spent with you, and no one else."

Elle smiled softly, her heart beating in her ears. "I don't want anything, only your love."

Doc stood up and sat next to Elle, putting her hand on his cheek the two kissed and melted into each other's arms.

The sounds of the night was all that was heard.