Chapter 48

𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓱𝓮𝓵𝓹 𝓯𝓻𝓸𝓶 𝓪 𝓼𝓽𝓻𝓪𝓷𝓰𝓮𝓻.

Elle stumbled off her horse as she approached the train station. She pulled Ash along the platform outside as Doc sat on the saddle, his coat hugging his body. His eyes were just cracked open enough for him to see where he was.

Elle put the reins over Ash's head and tied him to the post outside the office. She patted Ash, and put her hand on Doc's knee. He opened his eyes more, the sun on his face. She told him she'd be back with their tickets.

The station was busy with men yelling orders to young boys, and women creating people from their long travels. Men wore suits and their moustaches groomed to perfection. Ladies wore fancy hats, and dresses with layers of lace, all dressed to their tiny waists. Ellanora walked past the gentlemen staring her down, and the women who scuffed at her appearance and made her wait to the ticket booth, where a young man with a bread sat.

"Two ticket to Colorado please." Elle said taking out her money that Eliza left for her.

"You're Ellanora Raycroft." He said gasping.

Elle looked up from under her hat. Her heart raced in her ears as the man stood from his chair.

"I can't let you get on this train Miss." he said sternly. "I'm going to have to ask you to leave, now."

"Please, my husband is sick I need-"

"I'm sorry Miss." his eyes softened for a moment. He leaned in closer to her and whispered, "I'm grateful for what you did with the Cowboys, but there are lawmen on this train today. They will find you and kill you."

Elle looked back to Ash who still had a sick Doc Holliday on his saddle. She tapped her fingers on the money in her hand. Turning back to the man in the ticket booth she pleaded with her eyes.

"Please sir. My husband, he's very sick. I need to get him to Colorado." The man looked behind Elle to Doc on the horse, "He could die if I don't get him there soon."

The man looked around the platform before walking out of the booth and grabbing her arm. He pulled her behind the booth and whispered to her.

"There are three lawmen getting on this train today. They'll be on the sixth caboose. The best I can do is let you on but it's up to you to stay out of sight of those men." He said in a hushed tone.

Elle nodded her head, and the ticket man reached in and grabbed two tickets for the train. "Keep your head down, that's the best advice I can give you." He said handing her the tickets.

"Thank you." She whispered breathlessly.

"Please be careful out there." He said patting her hands as she took the tickets.

Elle nodded and pulled her hat down as she walked back through the crowd, back towards Doc and Ash. Elle glanced around as she approached Doc and he looked lazily down to her. Elle put her arm out for Doc to take as he climbed off Ash. Once he was on the ground, Ellanora pulled her jacket closer to him and put her hand on his shoulders.

"We've got to keep our heads down. There are lawmen on this train." Elle looked around again as Doc nodded to her.

"It's okay Ellanora. We'll be just fine." Doc put his hands on her face and kissed her.

Elle handed Doc the two tickets as she and him led Ash to the back of the train to be placed with the other horses. A small boy took the horse and passed him off to another man who dragged Ash into the back.

Elle and Doc kept their heads down and made their way to the fourth caboose. Elle watched the people around her, looking at the men's chests for any sign of a silver star. Showing the man his ticket, and climbing onto the train, Ellanora and Doc sat down in a seat together, at the back of the train and breathed a sigh of relief.

"That was quite a chase we had back there." Doc said chuckling before coughing.

Elle chuckled herself and nodded. "One last kick at the can." She joked. Her smile faded as she saw Doc looking at her longingly. "Once we get to Colorado you'll be in good hands."

He nodded and placed his head back on the seat, closing his eyes and sighing. Elle turned away and rubbed her eyes as she realized how tired she truly was.

The whistle from the train screamed and the train jolted forward. Elle felt her eyes close and her head fall back as sleep had overcome her body.

The train moved on the tracks as the couple fell asleep there with each other.

Elle jolted awake as she heard yelling from the front of the caboose. Elle lifted her head from Doc's shoulder and looked to the front. The few other people also looked frightened as the train came to a stop. Doc stirred next to Elle as she peered up over the seats.

"What's going on?" Doc asked, sleep lacing his face.

"I'm not sure." Elle stood up from her seat and made her way, slowly to the front.

She passed people who looked scared for their life. The door to the caboose slammed open and a man with a bandana over his face held his gun out to Elle.

"Get back to your seat little miss!" He yelled causing the people around them to look away in fear.

Elle put her hands up and wanted back to Doc who had stood up at this point. The man kept his gun pointed at Elle as she walked backwards to her seat.

Once she returned back to Doc, he held her arm and whispered, "Train robbers."

Elle looked back at the man as a few more walked into the caboose, all with guns in their hands.