17: Sarah Logan

You're watching TV on one of your days off, but suddenly you hear a commotion coming from the direction of your garage. Eventually, it gets so loud that you can't even hear the television anymore, so you go to check it out.

Upon entering the garage, you see Sarah Logan with a bag of stuff. She came over earlier to grab something from Liv, but you thought she'd left already. Now, seeing her standing in front of you, it's clear that you were wrong.

"Hello Sarah. What are you still doing here, going through my garage at 10 at night?"

"I'm going camping by the river," she replies, as if that's a perfectly logical answer to your question. She zips up her pack and turns back to you, "Do you wanna come with?"

"I guess," you reply, taken by surprise. Sarah takes you by the hand, and you begin your hike to the chosen campsite. You breathe in the brisk air of the woods and sigh.

As much as you love nature, it gets harder and harder for you to have time to enjoy it. Between work and the girls, not much time is left for anything else. Tonight was one of your free nights, but now you're halfway to the river with Sarah, and she doesn't even live with you.

"Do you camp out often?" you ask, breaking the silence that's developed. She looks over at you with a small smile, and you can't help but notice just how beautiful she is in the moonlight. 

"I did, but people stopped wanting to join me, so it lost its fun. Then you showed up," she says quietly. You reach an arm around her shoulder and pull her close to you, and she leans into this sideways hug. Technically, she showed up. In your garage. IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FUCKING NIGHT.

"Anytime, Sarah. I never get outdoors enough."

Finally, after a few more minutes, you find a nice spot along the river. Roughly 70 metres to your right is a short waterfall that empties into the lake, so it's not too quiet. The cicadas buzz from all sides. You both decide to settle here for the night, so Sarah digs in her pack for the tent.

You gather materials and begin to build a makeshift fire pit. Though your structure of rocks, sticks, and leaves doesn't turn out very pretty, you're convinced it will function once lit. You reach into your pocket for a lighter and realize you don't have one.

"Hey Sarah? Do we have matches or a lighter?" you ask. Sarah looks up from the half-constructed tent and giggles, amused by your lack of survival skills. Well, she's the viking princess kind of chick, not you.

"Of course we don't." She snatches up a couple of stones from the riverbank and comes over to your fire pit, smirking as she drops to a knee. You sigh in defeat as she strikes her rocks together to create a few sparks, which in turn cause the mass of flammables to catch fire. When her attention has returned to her tent, it's properly burning.

"Man, do I feel dumb," you comment, going over to see if she needs assistance. She scoots over to let you help her out with the tent, and you notice something immediately: this isn't a very big tent. Either she was planning on being alone... or this is going to be a very intimate night. You hope it's the latter.

"Don't worry, as long you've got me, you don't need to know that."

Once the tent is finally pitched, you and Sarah pull a log up to the fire and sit, her head on your shoulder. Though the night isn't a cold one, the fire is more than just warmth. Its presence is pleasant and reassuring. Also, light. Light is good too.

Sarah digs through her backpack and, after a few minutes, groans in frustration. She tosses the bag to the ground and pinches the bridge of her nose, clearly annoyed with herself.