零 - 𝓜𝔂 𝓢𝓹𝓲𝓻𝓲𝓽 𝓖𝓾𝓲𝓭𝓮

What do you think of when you hear the term "spirit"? What thoughts enter your mind? What feelings? Does the use of the word send fear under the hairs of your arms, or does it sound like a gentle brush of air against your upper lip?

I don't know if you've ever had any experiences with spirits, nor do I know that if you claim you have, you're being truthful. I am unconscious of a universe beyond ours existing in the same timeline as we do, and whether or not they experience spirits in the same way as us. If it happens to be that this guide comes into the hands of a force beyond this world, I would like them to understand it as much as someone down at my local park would. For that reason, I am going to assume you don't know anything.

Science has proven that three percent of our population has the genetic code to sense forces that aren't physically in our presence, but this ability has varying degrees. For some, they'll only experience one encounter, for others it's a daily occurrence. Whether you have these senses or not, I'm glad you're here, because the only way we can understand these incredible forces is to share our experiences and educate each other. The only reason we haven't progressed in our understanding of the supernatural is that it's a taboo subject and even after thousands of years, people still fear it. People feared homosexuality a hundred years ago, but look how far that's come now. It's an ongoing journey, of course, but it proves we can break through.

The use of the label "spirit" differs from "ghost". An actual ghost is a reference to energy from the past replaying in the current time. For example, a child waving in the window. That child might have experienced very positive (or very negative) emotions during that moment, therefore when they waved from the window one-hundred years ago the energy from that moment remained. The child then grew up and lived a long, happy life, passing away at an old age. Sometimes, for reasons currently unknown, that energy will resurface and cause a mirage-like affect in the window. There isn't anyone there. That is a ghost.

A spirit, on the other hand, although also related to extreme scales of emotion, is the remaining connection between a deceased person and their physical presence in the world. This relation between the afterlife and living is often called a person's soul. There are animal spirits, however these are less common due to lesser complex souls and them experiencing fewer extreme emotions.

What classifies as an extreme emotion? In the terms of the supernatural, there are two: joy and distress. Distress could be hearing the news of your child's death, or finding out your country has gone to war. It's very uncommonly depression or anger as these states disconnect you from the physical world. Joy would be the return of parents from a long holiday, in reference to the waving child example I made earlier, or hearing about the birth of a family member. For emotions to be captured on the physical plane, they have to be complicated and intense enough for energy surrounding the moment to last. It's a very individual experience, as well. If a spirit is going to remain on the physical plane after a person has died, the deceased must have passed within half an hour of the emotion lasting, according to other references.

So, you now understand the difference between a ghost and a spirit. You also have learnt about the soul and the emotional connection one has to the physical plane. You might be wondering what happens to spirits who don't remain in physical existence, however there isn't a precise answer to this. Some speculate that their energies disperse into nothingness, and with that their conscience and their ability to grow. Others, especially those who are religious, believe they pass to another plane to live eternally as a spirit, while others believe their energies are passed into new, local life.

Well, what do I believe? Personally, I'm not quite sure, however I think I lean towards the belief that spiritual energy, or souls, disperse entirely. This can be a complicated belief with many people struggling to comprehend it and finding it upsetting, however I believe Western society needs to learn that the cease of life and its energy doesn't need to be distressing and instead it should be a peaceful understanding that someone has passed on. They would no longer be conscious. They wouldn't be aware that they don't exist anymore, so why should people who are alive have so much concern over this moment? We should be thankful for the life they experienced rather than the life that they won't.

Spirits fade away after a while. It's currently officially unknown how long this takes, nor if they can take extents to continue their connection to the physical plane. I do know, however, that they are as real as a living human in as far as that their conscience lasts, and if they desire, they can age. They can be seen as though they are a breathing person, although they appear slightly more transparent and are hazy around their edges. They experience emotion as they would have when they were physically alive, and can learn in every aspect a human with a beating heart would. They are alive in every aspect, apart from their physical body being unreachable to living humans. They also cannot eat, nor do they need to sleep as they don't restore their energy as humans do, although they can replicate sleep if desired. Spirits cannot roam far from their place of death without feeling weak and dissociated, forcing them to unconsciously return to their origin. They often do not have a desire to go beyond where they're supposed to be, however, as where this is allows them to feel relaxed and free. Whether a spirit lasts due to joy or distress, this will not alter how they exist in the afterlife, instead they will exist and learn as though they were continuing from the moment they died.

Now, if I haven't swarmed you with more knowledge than you can absorb, I would like to tell you why I know all of this. It's up to you whether you believe me or not, but as science and evidence behind the supernatural expands, I hope I'm deserving of your trust. I have personally encountered a handful of spirits in my lifetime, most just in passing, however when I was seven I met another boy my age and he continued to age with me through choice.

His name is Daniel Howell, and I've fallen in love with him. He is my spirit love.

~ Philip Lester