四十一 - 𝓑𝓵𝓾𝓮 𝓕𝓵𝓸𝔀𝓮𝓻𝓼

Phil rolled onto his side, the sound of the cotton sheets beneath him crinkling slightly as he shuffled his weight around. He remembered the night before and how he held Dan on the floor with the music playing in the background, the soft strums of the guitar dancing them into the night. He didn't think Dan could be any more stunning, but as he picked himself up off the floor and swayed with Phil until the early hours of the morning, the human thought he was endlessly perfect.

He sighed, pursing his lips and running his tongue over them, biting away at the dryness caused by sleep. Then, he lifted his eyelids, scrunching his eyes to focus on Dan.

He blinked, unable to strain his eyes to see the ghost, so he placed his glasses on and turned back around, his heart drumming in his chest as he realised he couldn't see his fiancé anymore, "It's okay." he reminded himself, marking the date in his mind to track the spirit's return, "Dan?" he nervously whispered, "Dan?" he said again, slightly more clear. But he didn't get a response.

He slid himself into pyjama bottoms and stepped out of his room, his legs carrying him down the stairs to his parents bundled on the sofa, "He's gone." he quietly announced, walking to sit besides his mother, "I woke up and I can't see him."

"Hey..." Katherine comforted, lifting an arm over him and holding him into her body, "You've got this, okay? The next few months will fly by." her son nodded, training his attention to the show that was on the TV. He was trying to fill a gap of time he otherwise didn't know how to fill.

"Hey?" Martyn spoke, chucking a coat towards Phil, "Let's go sit out the front."

"Why?" the younger boy asked, burying himself into the sofa. Martyn shrugged, ushering him again. Phil groaned, "Fine", standing up from the couch and placing his arms through the jacket, following his older brother out of the front door.

They sat on the concrete slab, slightly far apart in distance, but close enough to not be sitting on the mud outlining the path, "So...he's gone?" Martyn asked. Phil nodded, looking outwards at the gentle snow falling off of the trees' branches, "But...not gone, gone?" he questioned.

Phil shook his head, "He'll be back in a few months. Think of it like energy conservation mode. He just needs me to recover before he can take my energy again." he explained with a shrug of his shoulder.

They sat beside each other in silence for a few moment until Martyn furrowed his eyebrows, turning his face towards the other Lester boy, "Phil?"

"Mm?" he hummed.

"How come if energy replaces itself after a certain amount of time...you'd live less than me if Dan kept taking yours?"

Phil laughed out a nervous breath, "What do you mean?"

"I mean...surely your 'core' energy can't replace itself? If it could, then wouldn't it keep doing that as you got older, meaning there'd be constantly enough to share? I thought the whole point of you deciding to be with Dan or not was about how you had to share the same amount of energy between yourselves-"

"Oh my God..." Phil swallowed, his arms shaking beside him.

"I might be wrong?" Martyn suggested, sensing the panic his younger brother began to harvest. He watched Phil as his thoughts spiralled, the younger boy pulling in more fear and doubt by the second. He shuffled closer to Phil, "Do you think he's lied to you?" he asked.

"He wouldn't have...oh God..." he began to feel nauseous as his veins vibrated through his body.

"Phil?" Katherine asked, the front door had opened without the two of them noticing. She sounded confused, pointing behind herself. Phil stood up, grateful for the distraction, no matter what it was, as he followed his mum through the hallway and to the kitchen. She stood at the window, the sound of the front door closing in the distance as she furrowed her eyes into the garden.