八 - 𝓑𝓻𝓲𝓰𝓱𝓽𝓮𝓼𝓽 𝓢𝓽𝓪𝓻𝓼

The Lesters left Nigel's mother's belongings in boxes for another year, letting the dust settle against their tops as the family slowly processed her demise. They took comfort in the fact that it was peaceful, with her body giving way during her sleep, but it didn't stop the sensation of loss flooding over them each day.

Phil Lester was twelve when they were sat in the living room, unboxing the belongings from their cardboard homes as they sought out what to do with them. Daniel sat beside him on the arm of the chair, contently looking over the family he'd invited himself to be a part of.

They were quiet at the start, picking out items and considering whether to charity them, display them, or keep them boxed as memories. But, as time slowly passed they began to share stories and memories they had of her. Nigel let tears subtly run down his cheeks, although he was happy.

Phil wanted to speak up and share every weekend he spent with his grandma with his family, but he had to keep his friendship with her under lock and key, hiding away their secrets for his and Dan's safety, as well as the rest of his family as to not raise concern. He could reminisce on her presence in his life with Dan later as they sat together, bundled under blankets before bed.

It was a beautiful evening as encounters were shared until the starlight slipped through the living room to light their fond memories. Nigel wondered what secrets she held from him, but took comfort in the fact that he knew all he ever would about her. This was the end of his mum's story, as far as he believed.

It was when a large wooden box was removed that the family hushed into silence once again. Their eyes furrowed as they were introduced to its damaged edges and polished sides. It wasn't an expensive box, nor was it old, but it was mysterious, holding the same value to them as if it was dug up from the ground. Suspicion rose when their son's name was scribbled in marker across the top: 'For Phil'.

Katherine cautiously pursed her lips, guiding the weighted box towards her son, allowing him to warily open the lid, glancing inside as the contents stared back at him. He heard Dan gasp from beside him, eagerly looking over his shoulder at the piles of books and stacks of paper, all to do with their research. The curly-haired boy grinned when he saw his own name against a few of the pages, knowing they truly did discuss him.

"This is incredible." Dan whispered beside his best friend, not expecting an answer in return.

"I know." slipped Phil aloud, hoping his family would think nothing of it.

"What's in the box?" his mother asked, Phil suddenly becoming aware all the attention was drawn against him and his arms prickled against his skin. His grandma knew she was ill, she wouldn't have done this unless she expected him to be in this situation, he hoped.

He bashfully looked up, a small grin against his lips although his shoulders were tightly lifted against his body with anxiety nipping at him, "Research on spirits." he said truthfully.

"Spirits?" his dad questioned. Phil nodded, waiting the silence out. Nigel shuffled closer to the box, peering inside and catching the brief words against the paper piles, "What is all of this?" he seemed curious, with no stress to his voice. Phil would have calmly explained his activities with his grandma, but his mum approached, staring into the box with an expression exclaiming fear at the foreign concepts.

She laughed, but not out of joy. It was the tone one would expect before being mocked in some way, "It has 'Dan' written on it," she pointed out, "Phil, this is labeled only last year. I thought you were done with this nonsense?" she chuckled again, "What's worse, your mother was supporting Phil's insane imagination?" she directed at her husband.

"Katherine, don't-"

"Fucking hell, Nigel! We thought this was over! We thought Phil had sorted himself out, don't you see what this means?" she cried.