十九 - 𝓚𝓪𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓲𝓷𝓮

The three boys were sat around the coffee table, endlessly exchanging stories and information, gushing over the knowledge they could share. Phil watched his boyfriend as his expression shone with a hope he'd not seen since before they were teenagers. It was this moment that he realised how alone Dan was, even though he'd never admit it to the older boy himself.

The sound of keys echoed from the hallway, the three of them turning around, facing away from the animeter they were playing with. Katherine walked into the living room, placing her belongings on a side table. She analysed the two of them, her eyes flicking between the humans as she questioned PJ's presence, "Hello there." she smiled nervously.

"Hey, Mum." Phil greeted, "This is PJ Liguori. He's from Cambridge University and is researching spirits."

He watched his mother deflate as she sighed, "Oh, okay. Nice to meet you, PJ."

"You, too. Mrs Lester, if you don't mind, could you take a seat?"

She nodded, "Of course." although she still seemed hesitant. She sat on the remaining free chair, eyeing the measuring device in the centre of her table.

"Mrs Lester,"

"Please, call me Katherine." she smiled.

"Katherine," PJ corrected, "I understand your situation with Phil. I'm impressed, honestly. It wouldn't have been easy having a son who can see spirits, especially one who has the gift to the extent Phil does. Honestly, no one on record has the same extent to the ability as Phil."

"A gift?" Kath pondered, still anxiously looking at the animeter.

"Yes, definitely. I can see spirits as well, enviously not as much as Phil. But, there's a few others in the same research module at Cambridge."

"You...can see Dan?" she asked, eyes eagerly setting over the student.

PJ nodded, as Phil whispered, "Yeah, he can hear him, too." every fibre in Phil's body felt as though it was vibrating with excitement as he contained the emotions he felt.

PJ kneeled towards the table, "Katherine, do you know about specific gravity?"

She shrugged, "Sort of." so Liguori explained the dynamics of it, and how the animeter worked, "So, if the number increases, that's a spirit?"

"Yes. Right Dan, can you move to the far wall?" PJ asked.

"Sure." he smiled, still finding it strange to respond to someone other than his boyfriend.

"The number's decreasing." Katherine pointed out.

"Yes. Because, Dan's presence is decreasing as he walks away. Now, Dan, can you slowly walk back."

Katherine wiped her eye and stood up, brushing her palms on her jeans, "I'm sorry, thank you so much for showing me this." she was anxiously scratching her elbows as she flooded with overwhelm.

"No worries. Thank you for letting me show you this." PJ responded as Katherine hastily made her way out of the room, the three of them then hearing footsteps up the stairs.

"Thank you." Phil smiled. PJ simply nodded.

"Dan?" Liguori questioned, "Mind if I ask you where you get your energy from? Spirits have to find something in the physical world to drain, and something significant, otherwise they start to dissappear after fifty years or so."

The spirit chuckled, "Phil, funnily enough. Before that I kept present by stealing minute amounts of energy from the log fire the Lester's neighbours keep going. Although, I struggled through summer."