十八 - 𝓘 𝓢𝓮𝓮 𝓨𝓸𝓾

Phil extended his hand across the café table, shaking the university student's hand as he held a hot drink in the other, placing it down in front of him before he took a seat. It was a homely atmosphere: the space was small, but the furniture was comfortable and the lights above their heads emitted warm light, setting a blanket across the room. It was modern and clean, but the cakes behind the counter were the sort you'd feel blessed if your grandparents served them for you. Phil loved the little place.

"PJ Liguori," the mop-headed teenager greeted, sitting opposite Phil, "Nice to finally meet you in person."

"You, too," the other boy returned, "Phil Lester. I keep the last name off the internet for privacy reasons."

"Completely understandable. I would, too." PJ sipped at his drink before he framed his next question, "Do you mind if I ask you a few things? It's actually an honour to meet you."

"Of course!" Phil smiled, not deeming himself to be an 'honour', but took the compliment nonetheless, "Whatever you want."

"Thank you. If you have any questions about the research at any time, do speak up."

"That's one thing, actually," Phil remembered, "What was it about me in particular?" he had his suspicions, but wanted to hear it for himself.

"Well," Liguori began, "There isn't another blog in Britain about someone having an ongoing connection to a spirit. There's people who see them, of course, and sometimes more than once, even exchanging conversations. But, very few people in the world have ever formed a friendship with a spirit. With your recent update as well, none other than you have dated one as far as research can take us." PJ seemed to be enamoured by Phil's natural gift, the black-haired boy's cheeks heating slightly under the praise, "I can see them, too."

"Spirits?"

PJ chuckled, "Yes-"

"Sorry, that was obvious."

"I've only seen the same one three times, that's the most I've ever managed." he paused, "I couldn't believe it when I found your blog when I was younger. Firstly, I wasn't alone. Secondly, the extent this skill could be taken. I know a lot about your experience from your website, but I want to hear some things from you. It's still a bit unbelievable, if I'm honest."

"I don't blame you. My mum still doesn't think Dan exists." Phil took another sip from his mug.

PJ furrowed his eyebrows, "How so?"

"Ever since I was seven, when I first saw Dan, she was reluctant to believe. It was understandable and the doctors thought I was psychotic. But, my grandma also had the gift. I spent a few years with her learning about spirits, as I've written on the blog, but then she passed away. I learnt to keep quiet to not concern my parents, but then I fell in love with Dan. Things like that don't stay secret for long."

"I suppose not." PJ agreed, "So...you've been friends with Dan for..."

"Nine years." Phil grinned, "Been together for about a year."

"That's amazing. He writes the blog with you, doesn't he?"

"Yes."

"Is there anyone else in your life who can see spirits?"

"It was only my grandma and some strangers online. You, now, but that's it."

"It's a gene that allows us to see them. One in four chance if a parent carries it; it's inheritance is weak. As to why the amount it affects individuals varies, it's unknown. It's as good a guess as why other genetic inheritances affect people more than others. We're hoping to prove they exist to others. We were looking at what spirits were and how they interacted with humanity, but you've answered all our questions there."