十四 - 𝓦𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓓𝓲𝓭 𝓨𝓸𝓾 𝓣𝓱𝓲𝓷𝓴?

A week had passed with little mention of Dan and Phil's relationship. Barely a word had been exchanged between Katherine and her son, and he heard his parents late at night in heated discussions about what to do with him. Although Phil spent most of his time at school daydreaming about his return to Dan instead of actually focusing, this week during the Christmas holidays, he wished he could have that escape.

Even with their backs against the wall, and their feet on their bed as they watched hours of YouTube or adding pages to their blog, they didn't dare move more than a foot apart. They felt safe with each other, no matter what was being discussed under the same roof.

Phil had this growing desire to prove Dan existed beyond his mind. He sat with Dan, a paused video in front of them when he suddenly spoke up, "How do you think we can prove you exist?"

His best friend turned to him, furrowing his eyebrows, "Are you sure?"

"Are you not?"

"No, I am, it's just..."

"We're desperate. We're running out of time. They're going to throw me on antipsychotics again and I'll be a puddle on the floor-"

"Just don't take them." Dan suggested. Phil thought about this for a moment, realising it would likely work. The brown-haired boy sighed, "Phil, we'll be okay." he just wished he could reassure himself, too.

Phil leant in, his speech dropped to a barely audible volume, "What if we move house?" Dan shuddered, the thought had risen to his conscience countless times, but he could always dismiss it and lie to himself, saying it was never going to happen. But now Phil had the same concern.

"Don't mention that I'm stuck here. If you do go away, pretend as though I'm still around. Lie to them, please." he begged, his eyes shimmering with water. Phil nodded, running his tongue over his cracked lips and leaning away again. Dan turned his body around, facing his only friend as he muttered, "I love you."

Phil smiled, running his hand through Dan's as it rested on his knee, "I love you, too. I'll sort this out."

"We'll sort this out. It's not your fault." Dan reminded him.

At that moment Phil's mobile rang on his bedside table. He picked it up, hesitating answering the call to his brother on the other end of the line. Dan peered over, "Who is it?" he asked.

"Martyn." Phil responded, a confused pout against his lips. He shrugged, answering the ring and placing his telephone against his ear, "Hey, Martyn?" he asked.

"Hi, Phil." his older brother greeted without much expression to his voice.

"How come you're calling?" the younger brother asked, smiling towards Dan.

"I don't know, really. Thought I'd just catch up if you've got time?"

"Yeah, of course. How's uni going?" his speech was slow and planned.

"It's going really well, actually. What's the situation at home?"

Phil became dubious, "Have Mum or Dad said anything to you?"

"No," Martyn replied honestly, "why, what's going on?"

Phil sighed, looking around the room he was sat in, "It's about Dan again...and Mum..."

"I thought everything had calmed down?"

"It had!" Phil jumped in, he pursed his lips as he gathered the courage to admit it, "I fell in love with him." Dan squirmed cheerfully beside him.

"Fuck." the older Lester cursed. The call fell silent, only the sound of breathing audible for a minute over the line, "Are you alright?"

"Honestly? I could be better."