四 - 𝓛𝓸𝓼𝓽 𝓑𝓸𝔂

"You think they're trying to stop you from seeing me?" Dan asked solemnly, turning his face towards the dirt beneath them. Phil's parents had been taking him to see Nancy for many weeks now, and although he was fond of her and felt surprisingly safe in her room, he caught onto words he wasn't sure he was supposed to understand.

Phil held an umbrella above his head with a scarf wrapped around his neck and a coat over his arms. He could hear the rain against the fabric above him, dripping down the edges and onto the frosted grass around him. Katherine didn't like him being out in the rain, but between his protests and promises to bundle up in warm clothes, she saw no reason to argue.

"I know they are. They think if I take the medicine I won't see Fuzzy People anymore, so I won't be different. Then I'd enjoy school." he didn't seem so convinced, either. The two young boys sat with their legs out in front of each other as their feet brushed in and out, their eyes following Dan's socked toes as they vanished and returned time and time again.

"I don't think it'll work." Daniel shrugged, chuckling slightly.

"Neither do I. It was supposed to be working by now-"

"Why didn't you tell me?!" Dan squealed frustratedly, crossing his arms and leaning forwards.

Phil shrugged, poking his nose closer to his best friend's, "I thought it was all nonsense. I was right, I suppose."

"I suppose you were." Dan agreed. He titled his head backwards, "I like your boots."

"I like your socks." Phil laughed, "They have animals on." Dan nodded, crossing his legs over to further inspect his clothing. Phil furrowed his eyebrows, leaning in as well, "Can you take them off?"

"What?" the other child laughed, "Why?"

"No! I mean, is it possible?" Phil's curious mind ever-grew and his parents found it admirable.

"I haven't tried. Where do you think it will go if I do?"

"I'm not sure. Try it!" Phil beamed, watching him as his fingers peeled the cotton away and discarded the sock to the side. The energy dispersed, leaving no trail that it ever existed. Phil pursed his lips, "Oh."

"What?"

"Well, it's dissappeared." Phil admitted shamefully.

"What? No it hasn't. It's here." Dan's hand grabbed aimless light in front of the two of them, placing the item of clothing back onto his foot as Phil curiously analysed it.

"You've got different animals on it now." Phil pointed out.

"Yeah...I forgot what was on there before."

"You can change it? That's so cool!" Phil gasped, his face radiant with intrigue.

"Phil? Come back inside now," his mother called out, "You've been in the rain for long enough."

"Okay." Phil sighed, then turning towards the other boy, "I've got to go."

"I don't want you to." the brown-haired spirit complained, patiently awaiting a solution.

"You can come inside, maybe?"

"Can I?!" Dan beamed.

"Of course you can. Is it possible for you to?" he questioned.

"I'm not sure." he spoke as he stood up, following confidently behind Phil who was shaking off his umbrella. He slipped in behind his friend, standing before the doorway figure he'd never seen up close, admiring her looks and noticing she had the same eyes as her best friend.