forty-six: "like a windfall"

Normal: Kat Torres
Bold: Easton Adley

Underlined: Phoebe Radisson

~

Kat waits impatiently, wringing her hands at every second that passes without a glimpse of Easton. Of course, she's also excited to see Phoebe and her brother, but the one her heart thumps for is her sandy-haired idiot.

    The airport is filled with loved ones reuniting, but at each passing reunion, Kat grows more and more anxious. Despite their constant communication up until Easton, Phoebe and Nolan's plane took off, it seems like Kat hasn't spoken to him in months. She certainly hasn't seen him in person since spring break and video calls just aren't the same.

    Kat glances at her watch. At the same time she looks away from the gate, a loud, oh-so-familiar voice shouts, "Kat Torres!"

    Only one person is so unapologetically enthusiastic. Kat breaks out into an uncontrollable grin, her lips shaping his name before he can even hear her. "Easton."

    Behind him trails Phoebe and Nolan, but when Easton shoves his suitcase at Phoebe and sprints toward her, Kat simply reciprocates and meets him halfway. Well, more like a quarter way. He IS a star athlete after all.

    "Kat," he murmurs into her hair, holding her tightly.

    "East," she whispers back.

    "I smell like airplane."

    "It's better than track meet."

    "Are you ALREADY insulting me? I'm not sure I'm excited for our summer anymore."

    "Hey! A little help here?"

    Kat and Easton break apart and turn to Phoebe, who reached for his abandoned suitcase and is trying to balance it plus her two carry-ons and a backpack. Nolan simply watches her in amusement, his Nintendo Switch in one hand and his carry-on in the other.

    "Right. Sorry, Pheebs."

    "Um, did you bring your entire closet with you?"

    "I need options."

    Nolan makes an offhand comment about exactly what sort of options Phoebe needs. Phoebe fires off a retort and whips him with her backpack. Easton eyes Kat.

    "The whole trip. Before the flight AND during."

    "You so don't need to remind me. I've been experiencing this since Nolan learned to talk."

    "I have new respect for you."

    "Once again, a little help here? And I heard that!"

    Kat takes one suitcase from her and Easton takes the other. Phoebe, chatting on about the flight, and Nolan, occupied with his Switch, do not notice their secret, hidden smiles.

After five hours with Phoebe and Nolan, the last thing Easton wants is to spend another half day with them in their hotel rooms. If it was up to him, he and Kat would be touring Manhattan right now. Instead, the four of them are carefully inspecting Nolan and Easton's room that Kat's father paid for.

    "Nolan, I promise there are no bedbugs in this place."

    "I wouldn't be too sure about that. Have you seen that docu-series on hotel staff? It's chilling stuff."

    "Pheebs, you're really not helping."

    "The little munchkin wouldn't shut up about Star Wars the entire flight. I think I'm entitled to this."