Ch.40 You're A Soul Reaper

"Get ready!" Nagi yells, swinging her sword.

"W-Wait!"

I just barely dodged her attack. Her blade breaks the ground I just stood upon.

"Let's go-"

I kick Nagi straight in the face and send her flying a bit. Once she lands on the ground, she looks up at me.

"Cheap shot!"

"Why didn't you tell me you were a soul reaper?"

"...Because I'm not one anymore." she answers, climbing to her feet.

Her voice was serious... I've never really seen her like this.

"Emiko," Kisuke smiles behind his fan. "Meet Nagi Sai, my good friend that saved you from those Hollow attacks a while back."

"You saved me?"

Nagi smiles with a nod.

"Yep. I couldn't let my best friend get eaten."

"And here I thought I was your only friend."

"Shut up! I have a ton of friends!"

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I just answered-"

"A real reason."

"...Because I didn't want you caught up in my world. I don't know if you noticed, but ever since Rukia showed up, I've been hanging around you less."

"Really? Your presence must be so insufficient that I didn't notice."

"What was that?!"

"You heard me."

"Shut your mouth! Anyway, I didn't want Rukia figuring me out, so I backed off. I also tried to save you from little Byakuya and that other guy, but I failed. I'm sorry about that."

"Little Byakuya?"

"Never mind that! Get ready! You and I are going to be training for three days straight."

"Hold on, you can't use your zanpakuto on me. I'll die."

"Huh? This isn't my zanpakuto. This is a normal sword from your world."

"You don't have a zanpakuto?"

"No, I do. Well...I did. If you must know, it's in the Soul Society."

"I'm going to be training you in the way of combat." Kisuke chimes in. "Nagi, here, will be your sparing partner. Once you're done, you should be able to take care of yourself."

"Combat?"

"Yup, here."

Literally pulling a sword from thin air, Kisuke throws one my way. I catch the handle no problem.

"Get ready, Emi. I need to practice since I've been so out of it recently."

I take a stance and get ready.

"If I accept this training and pass... Will I be able to go to the Soul Society?"

"Well, of course, Ms. Kurosaki. I promise you will."

"...I'm going to be holding you to your word."

"Understand, my lady."

"Let's start, Nagi."

"Right!"

~~~~Time Skip~~~~

"I quit! This is stupid!" Nagi yells after getting up from the ground for the 123rd time.

"What's wrong?" I asked her.

"What's wrong?! You keep knocking me down like some kind of domino! I knew I was weak, but not this weak!"

"You're not weak, Nagi. Our little lady is just getting stronger." Kisuke smiles from his spot a few feet away.

It's currently 6pm of the next day. The three of us have been training since yesterday.

"How?! You only gave her one advice so far!"

"Well, it seems we have a perfectionist on our hands. I mean, her swordsmanship is nearly perfect."

"Right..."

"Perfect? I'm far from it. There's too many mistakes I keep making."

"...Remind me again, Emi. What does perfection mean to you?"

"Well, it's not the skills I'm performing now."

Nagi just sighs.

"I have to prefect this training, it's the only way for me to go with Ichigo."

"Ichigo, really? You sounded like you hated him yesterday. Now that I think about it, it was the first time you two ever really fought, huh?"

Remembering what I said to him yesterday, I look towards the ground.

"I didn't mean what I said... It was in the heat of the moment... This is why I don't like showing my emotions much. I say things I don't mean. Emotions make me weak."

"Weak? I think it's the opposite."

I look from Kisuke, back to the ground.

"...Let's head up for dinner. Tessai can make some pretty mean dishes."

Having said that, Kisuke stands and heads for the exit.

Eating? But, I don't have the time. I must keep training. I can't afford to take any breaks.

"Yes! Food! I'm starving!"

I'm still weak. I need to become stronger.

Nagi runs right to his side, but stops once she notices me not moving.

"Coming, Emiko? You shouldn't skip meals."

"...I'll be up soon."

"...Don't worry about it. Continue training, I'll bring your dinner down." Kisuke says as he leaves.

"I'll make sure you gets lots of whatever it is!" Nagi smiles before she does the same.

With them gone, I grip the handle of the sword and continue training.