Ch.49 To Save Or Not To Save

Ganju and I are currently running to where Rukia should be. As we get further away, both, Nagi and Hanataro, began to wake up.

"You guys up?" Ganju makes sure.

"Yes..." Nagi answers.

"...! Where's Ichigo?!" Hanataro freaks.

"He's still back there."

"What?! Alone?! Stop! We have to go back! But...it's not like we can do anything... He can't win! No matter how strong he might be!"

Despite, Hanataro's protests, we kept moving forward.

"Will you shut up! You really going to say all that in front of his sister? You know how worried she is?"

Hanataro looks my way to see my expression, which I was failing to hide.

"I'm sorry, Emiko... It's just, that man is Kenpachi Zaraki. Kenpachi is the nickname given to the man who has killed the most enemies and won the most battles. The name means...no matter how many times you cut him... He will never fall!"

"..."

Nagi jumps off Ganju's shoulder.

"Hey what are you-"

"Keep going, and take Emiko with you. I'm going to go back to Ichigo."

"Nagi," I speak up. "Why are you-"

"Because I don't like that expression you're making. Besides, Ichigo's my friend too. And that man...killed Kiganjo...an old friend of mine..."

Nagi...

She looks right at me.

"Don't worry, I'll make sure Ichigo survives."

"..."

I take my bag off my shoulders and hand it to her.

"Thank you. Please, stay safe."

She grins at me.

"Of course! Who do you think I am?"

"Well-"

"Don't answer that!"

Turning back, she takes off.

"Come on."

Putting Hanataro down, the three of us keep moving forward.

~~~~Time Skip~~~~

Arriving at the Repentance Cell, Ganju and Hanataro knock out the two soul reapers that were guarding the cell. Once they're out of the way, we cross the bridge and come face to face with a large door.

"Alright, now all that's left is this door. It's a roll-up, huh? Let's see...how should I break it down?"

"Or we can open it with this spare key I have."

Hanataro pulls out an odd-shaped key from his uniform.

"Where'd you get that?"

"Last night, while everyone was sleeping, I went to the storage room in the sewers and took the spare key."

"Um... Are you sure you're okay with doing that?"

"It's not a problem. It's just that, last night Ichigo was fighting so hard and sustained injuries all over his body... All I did was run away, like the coward I am. I want to rescue Miss Rukia too. So I should do my best toward achieving that goal. No matter how I'll get punished for it."

Hanataro lets out a weak laugh.

"Even though I say that, the best I can do is only steal a key... I really am useless."