Ch.72 Our Truth

I hold my hand out towards Byakuya, waiting for him to hand me back the bill. However...

"It's fine. I'll take care of it."

He folds it up and places the piece of paper on the side table.

"But...Nagi and I should really-"

"I'll pay it. It's okay."

Something tells me I won't win this battle.

"...Okay. Thank you very much."

"...Renji."

"Yes, Captain?"

"Can you leave us for a moment?"

"Huh? Well, okay, sir. I'll just go find Nagi."

With that said, Renji leaves the room and closes the door behind him.

Right, Byakuya had something to tell me.

"...Please, sit."

Finding a chair at the other side of the room, I pull it over to the bed and sit.

"..."

"..."

We stayed silent. It wasn't awkward surprisingly. It felt like...comfortable silence. Byakuya looks from out the window to me.

"I'm sure Nagi mentioned this...but I had a little sister a long time ago."

Why are we talking about this?

"Yes, she was taken from your home. She told me how you'd go on for years, looking for her."

"Correct... After so many years, I gave up hope finding her safe and alive... I was starting to think she had passed on somewhere... But then, she came back."

"She did?"

He nods.

"...Her name is Kazumi Kuchiki."

...Wait a minute.

With soft eyes, he continues.

"That's your real name."

"..."

"You're Kazumi Kuchiki, the White Soul Reaper...and my little sister."

"...No, my name is Emiko Kurosaki. I'm human."

"...When you were a baby our father and mother gave you that pendent around your neck."

I touch it.

"...When I first met you, I noticed your pendent and thought it looked familiar. Upon returning to the Soul Society, I went through old photos kept in the Kuchiki Clan manor. Sure enough, I was able to find a picture of you and that same pendent."

"...This could just be one that looks like the one you're thinking of."

"It's the same one. Only one was ever made it existence...and that's yours. You won't be able to find another like it in the World of the Living."

"..."

"The second thing that tipped me off, was your power... My little sister was born a White Soul Reaper... Not to mention, you and I look similar."

"..."

I ball up my fists.

"That can't be true... Please don't joke around like this."

"I find no humor in telling you all of this."

"But...I'm a soul reaper...? If that's true... I was...living my life all wrong... Then all those years I've been searching...were for noth-"

A hand was placed on my cheek. Using his thumb, Byakuya wiped some of my stray tears.

"You we're living your life just fine. And it wasn't all for nothing... I'm right here, after all."

"...I...I was prepared to find out the reason why I was abandon... I was going to leave you behind once I knew..."

"But you know the truth."

"..."

I look up at him, trying to hold back my tears. However, I was failing miserably.

"...Brother..."

I instantly wrap my arms around his neck as I lean against him. I couldn't take it, all those years of not knowing came out all at once as I sob.

I felt his arms move around me and tighten a bit. In his cool, soothing voice he spoke.

"I'm sorry...I failed you. If only I'd been with you that day... You wouldn't be crying now."

I just continue to.

"...I'm glad you're safe... I promise to keep you safe. Nothing will take you from me again."

He shifts so we're now facing each other.

"Welcome home...Kazumi."

"..."

With my hands on his chest, I bury my face in between them. My tears won't stop.

"I-I'm sorry... I'm a-a mess...right now..." I try to speak in between sobs.

"And you have every right to be. You're finally home."

"..."

So...I'm Kazumi Kuchiki? That's my real name is it?

"...This isn't just a cruel dream playing jokes on me, is it? I'm not sleeping, right?"

I felt his chest move a bit as a small chuckle fills my ears.

This man can laugh?

"No, you are not."

I look up at him to see a gentle smile on his handsome face.

Whoa...I didn't think someone like him knew what smiling was.

I send him a small smile back through my tears.

"I'm home."

He nods.

"...There's just one thing."

"Yes?"

"...My name is Emiko Kuchiki-Kurosaki. Okay?"

"...Alright."

I hug my big brother once again.