Ch.41 Voices In My Head

Taking a step, I swing the sword...to only land on my butt.

"Curses."

I shifted my weight too much and fell over.

Dammit, Emiko. Your skills need to be perfect. Try harder. Don't stop until it's second nature to you. If you fail, you fail Ichigo and the others. You'll fail your family as well. So keep going, who cares about my well being while the others have their lives on the line.

Getting up, I continue.

"You're thoughts... You're very hard on yourself, my dear."

I stop and look around, confused. There was no one around, Kisuke and Nagi are currently eating dinner upstairs... So who-

"You can hear me much clearer, correct?"

"Ah..."

It's the voice from my dream. I almost forgot what he sounded like.

"So you weren't just a dream, then?"

"Of course not. I'm as real was you...well... I might be real, but others might disagree since I'm deceased."

"So, you're a ghost then? If that's true then, how come I can't see you?"

"Well, when a soul dies in the Soul Society, after a while we simply vanish. We cease to exist. In other words, I no longer have a form."

"You were from the Soul Society?"

"Correct."

"Then what business do you have with me? And if you don't exist, how come I'm hearing your voice?"

"Aren't you filled with questions. I told you my business the first time we meet. And for the second question...you'll find out why in the Soul Society."

"...Alright, I won't question your second answer, but when we first "met", I couldn't hear you clearly."

"..."

"All I got is the name Kazumi. I'm not the person you claim I am. My name is Emiko Kurosaki."

"...That's right... My apologizes."

"...What do you want from me?"

"I'm here to help you train."

"...How are you going to help me?"

"Well, you can't let your mind be bothered by these cruel thoughts of yours, now can you?"

"But... It's true. I'm weak. I have to become stronger. I have to prefect my movements."

"My dear, you don't know just how strong you truly are... Alright, let's begin training your mind, shall we?"

"...Okay."

~~~~Time Skip~~~~

"Just keep your mind empty. Cast out all those unnecessary thoughts."

"..."

I'm currently sitting on the ground, meditating.

"...Very good. Now imagine a gate in front of you. You're locked from the inside. On the other side is all those negative thoughts and feelings you have."

"..."

"Don't let those feelings in. Don't let those thoughts cloud your judgement. Thinking clearly and simply walk away."

"..."

"...You're doing great. How do you feel?"

"...A little better."

Though I can't see him, I feel like he's smiling.

"I'm glad to hear it."

"Emiko!"

Opening my one eye, I spot Nagi and Kisuke heading towards me with a plate of food in hand.

"Here! You have to taste this! It was super, duper good!"

Happy, Nagi sets the plate in my lap.

"I'm a bit busy at the moment." I inform her with an annoyed expression plastered on my face.

"Oh? You meditating? What happen to swinging the sword around?"

"...The voice said I should clear my mind since it was clouding my head."

"Voice? ...Um, are you okay? Did you hit your head while we were gone? Or...did you finally lose it?"

"Neither, thank you very much."

Kisuke had his hand on his chin as he thinks.

"Say, Emiko, what's this voice's name?"

"...I don't know. Excuse me, but you never told me your name."

Silence.

"...?"

The voice... It's gone.

Sighing, I shake my head.

"The voice left. Nagi's face scared it off."

"Hey! I'm hot for an old lady!"

"...Ew."

"Shut up!"

Kisuke continued to watch us as we went back and forth. After about three minutes, he interrupts us.

"Alrighty then. It's fine, Ms. Kurosaki. If that voice returns, let me know. Anyway, you're done kicking Nagi's butt."

"You don't have to keep reminding us!" Nagi growls, getting in his face.

"Sorry, but I just wanted to remind our the little lady here. Just in case she forgot."

"...I may be an old hag, but I can still kick your butt, little boy."

Kisuke puts his hands up as he surrenders.

"Okay, okay. I'm sorry. Anyway, for the rest of the night, you're going to have to rest, little lady."

I look at him confused.

"Why?"

"Because, starting tomorrow morning...I'm going to be your sparing partner. I'm going to go even harder on you than I did to Ichigo. So, you might want to rest up."

"...Understood."

I can tell he means business.

Looking at the plate of food, I begin to eat as the three of us go over some advice for my combat skills.