20

It was about ten minutes after you had stopped streaming that your phone buzzed. You'd been working on editing the vlogs - chopping them up into separate days and finding the best clips to use in the videos. The work was tedious, but necessary, and you were relcutant to break your focus and pick up the phone, but your screen flashed Kieran's name, so you did.

You answered the call with a quick, "Hello?"

"Hey." Kieran said. "You're on speaker and Maya's here too - we were just watching your stream."

"Oh. Hi Maya." You said. 

"Hi." She replied. 

"I didn't know you guys were watching, you could have put something in the chat." You said, returning most of your focus to the editing you were doing. You had already trimmed most of what needed to be cut, now it was just a matter of putting everything together into a coherent timeline. 

"It was more fun just watching you implode internally from all that fanart of you and Tommy." Kieran teased. "You got so red!"

You groaned, laying your forehead on the desk for a second. "Was it that bad?"

You could hear Kieran snickering to himself over the phone. Thankfully, Maya actually had an answer for you.

"It wasn't too bad." She said. "Like, Ki and I could tell, but we already knew you fancied him anyway. It wasn't like, blatant or anything."

"At least it wasn't terrible?" You said, the words coming out more like a question. "And I don't think Tommy was watching, he would have said something in the chat at least."

"You just have to hope that he never actually winds up watching it ever." Kieran said. 

You just sighed, moving some clips around on your screen. You had been thinking about doing a voiceover for the video, but you didn't know if you had the time. You wanted to put at least one out by the end of next week. 

"Are you actually going to make a move?" Kieran asked. 

Your heart thudded in your chest. "Like what do you mean?"

"Like tell him how you feel, or something." Kieran said. "Take him on a date, hold his hand, maybe kiss his stupid face, who knows?"

You thought about asking Tommy out on a date. Just thinking about it made you nervous, especially remembering the infamous hug and all the ship art from just a few minutes ago. You had known him for a while now, but you were really just... work friends. If Twitch and YouTube could even be considered work. Yes, you talked to him regularly, and you joked and laughed with him all the time, but making a move would be a huge step forward. 

You didn't know if you would be able to look him in the eye and ask without exploding. 

"I couldn't." You said. "I would actually die of spontaneous combustion."

You heard Maya and Kieran laughing over the phone. 

"You wouldn't die." Maya assured you. "I was nervous when I asked Kieran out, but it's really not as bad as you think. The worst thing that he could say is 'no'."

But that was exactly what terrified you. If he did say no, your friendship with Tommy would be tainted by that. He might not even want to talk to you anymore, and even if he did, no matter how hard you tried, things would be different. 

"I don't know if I could survive a 'no.'." You said. 

"You would survive." Kieran said. "It's not like-"

Whatever Kieran was about to say was interrupted by your Discord ringtone. Speak of the devil and he shall call - Tommy's name popped up with the Discord notification. Your heart squeezed both with anxiety and with a sudden rush of fuzzy feelings. It felt like a schoolgirl crush - and you supposed it was in a way. 

"Hey, Ki I've gotta go." You said. "I'll talk to you later?"

"Sure." Kieran said. "Bye dude."

"Bye." You ended the call with Kieran and opened Discord, hopping into the call with Tommy. When you did talk to Kieran again, he would want to know why you had left - and you were going to have to tell him. He would find out anyway, you knew. It's not like he wouldn't be able to piece two and two together. 

"Hello?" You asked. 

"Y/N." Tommy said. "Are you streaming right now?"

"No, I ended a few minutes ago." You said. "Are you?"

"Yeah," Tommy said. "And my chat keeps telling me to look at your stream but I'm in the middle of some very important Minecraft business."

You were glad no one could see you, because you were sure you were bright red again. Of course people would try and get Tommy to watch you looking at all the fanart of you two. Part of you - the part that wouldn't survive a no - was wishing you had just played Minecraft or Among Us for your stream like you usually did.

"Oh." You forced out a laugh. "I was just looking at fanart and stuff. A lot of it had you  in it, that's probably why."

"Ah." Tommy said. "I bet I looked so cool, it was all probably of me kicking ass and being a hero. 'Cause you know, I'm just awesome like that."

Your mind supplied the memory of the comic panel that had depicted Tommy sacrificing himself so you could try and get away.

"Actually it was mostly of me being awesome and amazing and of you being a coward." You joked. It was a complete lie, but how did you tell someone that you'd been looking at pictures of them and you holding hands?

You were just hoping that Tommy's chat wasn't ratting you out. Or, at least that he wasn't looking. 

Tommy spluttered with rage, shouting something about how he wasn't a coward, and that if anyone was a coward, it was the people that drew him like a weakling, and how he was so massive that even just looking at him those artists would dissolve with fear.

And you laughed, because it was funny, and you liked this boy so much.