24

You were fiddling with the straps of your bookbag on the way home, nervous fingers pinching and releasing the fabric over and over again. 

Throughout the day you and Tommy had kept texting, working out the details of this tentative trip plan. You found a day that worked for both of you, and things you could do while you were down there. You'd asked Alex if she would mind giving you a ride, and she'd agreed, saying she had plans with a friend from university in that direction anyway. All you needed now was the ok from your parents. 

This was the part that always made you nervous. 

You inhaled deeply as you stopped in front of the door to your house. 

"You've got this." Kieran said.

"I've got this." You repeated.

"That's the spirit." He grinned, starting to head off in the direction of his own home. "Text me how it goes!"

You waved as he walked off. "Will do!"

You turned back to face the door in front of you. You were fairly confident that your parents would say yes. It was all about presentation now. You and Kieran had come up with a game plan at lunch at school. There were several key points that you needed to hit; that this was for your work, that Alex had already agreed to give you a ride, that it was only for a day this time, that it wouldn't be a large group of people, and it was someone you'd met before.

With those things in mind, you opened the door and stepped into the house. It was quiet, and as you slipped your shoes off, you weren't sure anyone was actually home. Your mum hadn't said anything about going anywhere this morning, but maybe she had gone to the store...

But then you heard a sneeze from upstairs, and you headed up, dropping your bag outside the door to your bedroom. Your phone, heavy in your back pocket, pushed your forward and into your mother's office.

You peeked your head around the door. "Mum?"

She was on the phone. She raised on finger, but smiled at you. "Yes... we could do Thursday, that would be fine. Okay."

You stepped into the room fully, leaning on the wall next to the door. 

"Yes... that would be great. Alright. Have a nice day, we'll see you Thursday! Buh-bye!" Your mum wrapped up her phone call and put the phone back down on her desk before spinning around to face you fully. "How was school?"

"Normal." You said. "I actually had something I needed to ask you though."

"Alright." Your mum said, leaning back in her chair. 

"So, I was wondering if I could go on another trip." You said. 

Your mother frowned. "Isn't it kind of close to the last one?"

You ticked off your key point one by one. "We'll, this time it's only for one day, and it's only one person. I already asked Alex if she would drive me and she said she would. Plus, it is technically for my work, and I've met him before."

Your mum thought for a moment before turning to her laptop. "How are your marks in school?" She logged into the school website where your marks were posted.

"My statistics grade went up from that last test." You said. 

Your mum looked over your grades, mentally catalogging how you were doing in each class. She rested her head on her knuckles for a second. "You said Alex would drive you?" She asked. 

You could feel yourself getting closer to a yes. "Yeah."

"And it's only for one day? When would you be going?" She asked.

"Saturday." You said. "And I would be back probably a little after dinner." 

Your mum paused for another second before she spoke. "I suppose you can go."

Your heart soared. "Thank you mum." You said, stepping forward to pull her into a quick hug. She squeezed you back before pulling away. 

"It is technically for your work." She said. "Speaking of, I need to get back to mine."

"Right, sorry for interrupting." You said, backing out of the room. "Thank you!" 

Your mother just smiled tiredly and motioned for you to close the door as you left. You darted back to your room, dragging your bookbag inside and flopping on the bed, pulling out your phone. Tommy was the most recent number and you tapped the text thread excitedly, wanting to share the good news. 

she said i can come !!!

You shot a similar text the Kieran as well, letting him know that the list of key point had worked and that you were going. He was the one that got back to you first.

!!! exciting !!!

You were about to respond to him when your phone started to buzz and the screen glazed over, displaying a call notification from Tommy. You answered it immediately. 

"Hello?"

"She said you could come?" Tommy sounded excited, like he did when something good happened on his streams. 

"She said I could come." You parroted back at him.

Tommy crowed with excitement and victory. "Pog!"

You laughed, sitting up and tucking the phone between your shoulder and your ear as you opened your school bag, getting out the things you would need to do for homework. 

When Tommy came back down to earth he sounded insanely happy. "You have a ride down?"

"Yeah, Alex is going to see a friend from university down there anyway so she said she would take me." You said. 

"This is going to be great." Tommy said. "You should bring your vlog camera and your laptop with you. When we stream - what are we going to stream?" He asked.

"I thought you had this whole thing planned out." You laughed. 

"Shush." Tommy said. "We could do Minecraft, or we could do a 'you laugh you lose' - let's do that, that's easy."

"Sure." You said, cracking open your notebook where you had written down the homework. 

Tommy prattled on, talking about everything and nothing, the conversation changing from Saturday's plans to just whatever came to mind, and it was soothing as you worked, only half listening when Tommy would ask you a question. It was almost like he was there with you.

You wouldn't have it any other way.