22

You woke up to a buzzing under your pillow. There was no way it was time for you to get up and go to school already, it felt like you had just gone to sleep. You reached under your pillow and fumbled for your phone, squinting as the light from the screen made your head throb. 

A phone call. From Tommy. 

You answered it, flopping back on your pillow. "Hello?" Your voice was raspy from sleep.

"Hi. Were you asleep?"

He sounded a little quieter than usual. "Yeah." You said. "What's up?"

"Oh, nevermind then." Tommy said. "I don't want to be a bother-"

"I'm up now so you might as well tell me why you called." You said. Somehow, the usual nerves you got when speaking to Tommy weren't there. It was like they were still asleep.

"Well, I just... couldn't sleep, and I thought that someone might be up." Tommy said. "Just to talk to."

You smiled to yourself, thinking about how Tommy had called you just because he couldn't sleep. 

"If you were asleep though, don't wake yourself up on account of me." He said. "I'll let you go-"

"Tommy." You said. "If you need someone to talk to, I'll gladly talk to you. I like talking to you." The maybe too much went unsaid, hanging in the air around your bed. 

The line was silent for a moment before Tommy spoke. "That's really nice of you."

"Of course." You said. "I'm just  a saint, really." You joked. 

Tommy snickered. "Saint Y/N."

The line went quiet again, and you could hear Tommy's soft breathing across the phone. You imagined that he was in a similar position as you, sprawled out on his bed with his phone beside him and looking up at his darkened ceiling. It felt kind of like a sad music video, but you were anything but sad. 

"What do you want to talk about?" You asked. 

"I don't know."

You huffed out some laughter. "You're the one who called wanting to talk, you don't have anything you want to talk about?"

"I watched that stream you did where you looked at all the fanart." He said.

And suddenly, the nerves were not asleep at all. You had known deep down inside that Tommy would see it eventually, but you were hoping that he wouldn't want to talk about it, or just write it off as fan behavior.

"Oh?" You asked.

"Yeah." Tommy said. "I don't know why everyone was begging that I watch it. I mean, it was a good stream and the art was good, but I had seen a lot of it before."

"Well, fans, you know?" You said. 

Tommy laughed. "Yeah, fans."

Another stretch of silence passed between the two of you. If you closed your eyes, you could picture Tommy here, stretched out on the bed beside you as you talked. It was hard to believe that it had been weeks since you had visited him in Brighton.

"It feels like we were just in Brighton yesterday, but it's been weeks." You said. "I really miss everybody."

"Yeah." Tommy said. "It's nice that we all talk and stuff anyway, but it's not the same as actually being there with everyone."

"I wore my shirt from then yesterday." You said. 

Tommy hummed. "I think mine is still in my closet."

You could feel yourself starting to fall back asleep, so you peeled your eyes open again, focusing back on the ceiling above you. 

"I wish we lived closer." Tommy said.

"That would be awesome." You said. "We wouldn't have to plan meetups, we could just go over to each other's houses."

"And you could guest star in my streams." Tommy said. "And I could hijack your streams."

"And we could complain about homework and go out and get junk food and terrorize the neighborhood children with our swearing." You said. 

Tommy giggled. "We would be the coolest kids at school. We could bully all our classmates because we have millions of subscribers and they have no subscribers."

"And we could get more matching shirts." You said. 

Something shifted on the other end of the call, and you could hear Tommy's bed creak. Sleep was pulling at the edge of your mind, but you forced yourself to stay present with the thought of Tommy on the other end of the phone. 

"We should meet up again soon." Tommy said after a long yawn. 

"We should." You agreed. 

"You could meet my mum." Tommy said. "She's such a nice lady... and you're so nice... you would get along great with her."

A warm tingly feeling spread throughout you. He thought you were nice... and he wanted you to meet his mum. You smiled, fighting back a yawn. For a moment, it wasn't that far fetched to believe that you could tell Tommy about how you felt. 

"She's always asking about my friends too..."

But then the feeling faded, and reality came back to the forefront of your mind. Friends. You were friends. And you would be friends until your feelings faded, because there was no way that you could suffer a no from Tommy.

You cared about him too much.

"I bet my mum would let me come visit." You said. "She said that if I kept my grades up, I could go on more trips with Alex."

"Really?" Tommy asked. He sounded so hopeful.

"If I asked, yeah." You said.

"You should." Tommy yawned. "You should come down next weekend, and we could hang out at my house and stream and play Minecraft."

You smiled through a yawn. "I really would like that. I would get to meet your dogs."

"You would get to meet my dogs." Tommy repeated. 

Fighting off sleep would only work for so long as your eyes drooped closed. You shifted on your bed, curling into your blankets more. They were so warm and soft. 

"Tommy?" You said softly.

"Yeah?"

"If I fall asleep on you I'm sorry." You said. 

Tommy yawned. "S'okay. I'm falling alseep too."

The line fell quiet then, and before you knew it you were nodding off. You knew you should hang up the phone before you fell asleep, but you couldn't bring yourself to end the call. 

It was too easy to fall asleep knowing that Tommy was within reach.