18: Growl of the heart (8)

The leaves stayed put even when the wind knocked every branch against each other, creating a swinging madness.

But Win couldn't get his eyes off it.

"We'll be waiting by the..." Gulf paused when he realized the next word he was about to say. "Just...take your time, Alpha."

If he could hear what Gulf just said, it didn't even felt like it. The only sound he wanted to keep hearing was the silent wind, the occasional chirping of birds and if he closed his eyes, he could hear him from a distance.

Just when he was about to open the covered letter he would be reading, droplets of rain started to travel briskly across his skin until he saw the whole sky darkened.

And Win let himself remember the last time he was surrounded by the same darkness where everything ended right before his eyes.

It was dark when he finally opened his eyes that day. Everything hurts from his back, his limbs felt raw and the coldness of the room was slicing his pores open.

Disoriented to even breathe properly, all the Alpha could recall was waiting for the car that professor Nguyen sent for him just after Bright dropped him off that morning. He remembered waiting quietly while he felt a little better than the previous day then all of a sudden, a cloth was pressed against his mouth and nose while two bodies hauled him in a corner.

And that's where he felt a needle being sunk on his neck as his eyes dropped followed by his whole body.

"Awake, Alpha?" The familiar sickening voice asked before a light was turned on forcing Win's eyes to squint hard.

"You're going to hell wherever you are." Win hissed as he tried to get up from the thick straps that was pinning him down.

Now that he could see his surroundings, he noticed he was in a new room with a similar operating table like the one he was in before. Only this time, it wasn't the professor's office where monitors and shelves of books dominated their surroundings; this room was filled with whips, chains and sharp equipments that looked like they belonged to a slaughter house.

"Think I don't know that when I decided to pursue this case again?" Professor Nguyen appeared in front of him with his neat lab coat and glasses. Win was disgusted with the fact that he looked too wise to be pulling a sickening stunt like this.

"I told you since day one that you have me, what's not clicking?" Win spat through the heavy trembles of his chest. His wolf was stirring too wildly and he could already feel his fangs coming out.

"What's not clicking is your body, Alpha." Placing his gloves on, the old man raised a digital chart which had Win's record from yesterday. "You see this? Your body could barely stand a 100 degrees Fahrenheit temperature whereas a normal human could actually surpass it just until they convulse and die."

"You fucking promised you'd use me and that's it!" The metal poles of the bed was starting to bend from Win's struggle but the professor remained unbothered.

"I only promised if it worked and it didn't. I need my subject to meet all my expectations for this experimental study and maybe someone other than you could do that to me."

"There's no one else and even if there was, over my dead body will you get your filthy hands on them and have you dissect our bodies like all your other useless test subjects." Win cut him off with a powerful spit that landed right between the professor's glasses.

Wiping the spit off with a calm smile, the professor retrieved a small remote to activate the small monitor that was in front of them. There on the screen was a tracking map of someone's car that was running at an illegal speed but when the pointer was placed on the vehicle, the screen switched to a view of a familiar car where a frantic male was on his phone barking orders.