22: Lost stars

prompt: From Win's perspective of his favorite night sky. 

"We're going to pay a visit next weekend."

That was enough to pull his attention away from the puzzle pieces he was trying to figure out. Disoriented blocks of lego and truck parts decorated his bedroom floor yet he felt the most organized he's ever been.

"What for?" He dared to ask even if the answer was something he wanted to forget.

"You know why," There was a pause. Almost as if the other voice didn't want to continue but it did after a couple of seconds. "I know it's hard but.."

"It's not, trust me. It's not hard if you don't believe it." He replied without taking his eyes off the puzzle.

When the door closed and Win could feel the footsteps disappear, that was the only time he let his eyes fall shut as his cheeks dampen.

Until he fell asleep, clutching the familiar shirt that soaked too many fluids of pain that he would never wish on anyone to go through.

The shirt still smelled like him if Win closed his eyes a little tighter.

But the next day proved that the world didn't want him to stop hurting.

The familiar football field was a lot smaller now that Win was looking at it too closely. Back then when his life wasn't falling apart, the field made him feel like he was able to dream anything that his heart desired.

But then again back then, what he wanted was right next to him.

But now, there was only an empty space beside him.

"He's late again." Win muttered quietly as he checked his wrist watch from time to time.

The sky was two shades darker from when he arrived but he sat there, unmoving.

Until he saw the early blanket of stars starting to appear, Win hurriedly dialed his phone to appease his annoyance.

"What's taking him so long?" The phone rang through thin air without any signs of any other sound.

"Pick up..." Win chanted even when the stars started to cover the entire space in front of him.

He wasn't able to continue waiting when a warm hand placed itself on his shoulders. In that moment, Win couldn't tell if it was relief or annoyance that he felt from the contact but all he remembered was turning around but failing to continue whatever phrase it was that he was about to say.

"Bright! What took you so long?"

It was the lady from the store across the field. The same one who witnessed every football game that him and Bright played, every walk, every street food dates and heartbreak talks.

"Nong," She had tears in her eyes and Win felt his own ones watering before her next words could fully hurt him. "Bright's not here."

"I know." Win replied with a trembling smile but his eyes were glued up at the stars. "I was probably late. He left before I could get here, right?"

The old lady couldn't answer. Her words died with her heart for these two. She often regretted witnessing too much of their time together because years later, she still feels like it was yesterday when she watched two hearts shatter in this field.

But even then she tried. "Yeah, he said you were taking too long."

They shared a laugh. One that was riddled with a thousand tears that are yet to be shed.

"Tell him I wasn't taking too long if you see him again; he was just too early to be up there."

Then Win turned to face the night sky as he tried to guess which star was Bright among the thousand that was visible to him.