The Kaneko Case

"Kaneko... Kaneko..." Mary repeated to herself.

"There you guys are!" A brown-haired boy came running up to the group.

"Oh! Sorry for leaving you Ryota, even though it was mary who left you by yourself" Yumeko apologized.

"Hey! I had to come find you, so you wouldn't gamble our lives away!" Mary snapped at Yumeko.

" It's alright guys. Don't worry about it" Ryota said nervously, hoping to break up the argument.

Ryota finally noticed that I was standing behind the two girls, I wondered why it took him so long considering I was taller than both of them. Actually, I was taller than most girls here, considering I stood at 171 cm(5'7.5) which added to my intimidating nature.  

His eyes fixated and me and he looked shocked. His lip slightly quivered as he stepped back a bit. I was confused, I knew my resting faced looked a bit irritated but it wasn't that bad.

"Y-you're from the K-Kaneko... C-case..." Ryota's voice trembled 

"The what case?", Mary inquired.

"Ah yeah, forgot that was still relevant", I sighed.

The event called the Kaneko case has been going on for about 3 years now but it was only reported and brought to the surface about 5 months ago. It was about a family that was split apart after a divorce between (y/n)'s mother and father. After they divorced (y/n)'s mother married into a largely known gang.  While (y/n)'s father was the owner of well-known hospitals and (y/n)'s sister became the head of the district's police force. (Y/n)'s mother had tried to get her to come live with her multiple times and tried to convince her that her father was a terrible person to live with, at the time (y/n) didn't know what she wanted. (y/n) had always been attached to her father and sister more than her mother so now, they basically don't speak anymore. Then there was a murder in the city connected to the family. 3 people were found dead and all evidence reported to (y/n)'s mother's family. She tried to blame it on (y/n)'s father but the only way the crime was connected to him was the people died from injections. 

I didn't like talking about family drama, especially because I worked so hard to shut my mouth and stay out of it. But, I now understood why Ryota looked so afraid, he probably thinks I have a shooter watching us right now. 

" Um, yes. I'm (y/n) Kankeko, pleased to make your acquaintance", I stated

" I'm Ryota Suzui. P-pleased to meet you" his voice still quivered.

I took his hand and pulled him into a strong handshake. He looked surprised and a bit startled but gave me half a smile to show good nature.

"WHAT CASE" Mary shouted angrily.

I turned sharply to face mary and snapped " Just look up the Kaneko case and I'm sure you'll find plenty of information".

Mary jumped back and turned away, her face turning a slight pink from embarrassment.

I caught myself and apologized for speaking to Mary that way and we all headed to class. I asked everyone to refrain from talking about the case since I was trying to get people to stop looking at me like I'm some criminal. 

I ended up in class with Yumeko, Mary, and Ryota, which made me a bit less tense because I already knew people in my class. I took notes through class and people either questioned me, complimented me, or ignored me. Until around the end of class when people started to finish up their work and gamble. 

"Hey (y/n)! Will you join me in a gamble?" Yumeko pleaded. 

"Sorry, Yumeko, I don't get any pleasure from gambling" I stated as I put my notebook away.

"What?" Yumeko, Mary, and Ryota said in unison, shocked.

"You came to this school, but you don't like gambling? That's dumb" Mary said in disbelief.

"Why not?" Yumeko whimpered.

"First of all, I do like gambling. I just don't like the aftermath. And what do you mean about coming to this school?" I inquired.

Ryota explained that in this school, everything is run by gambling. He explained housepets and that once you have a debt to the school you're forced to be treated poorly. He also explained the student council and the roles that they play in the school system.  Once he told me about the school I started feeling mixed emotions about being here. I wasn't worried about becoming a housepet, since I was exceptional at gambling. But I felt bad about other people being treated poorly because they weren't. The group noticed I looked troubled so they tried to comfort me. I told them I was fine though.

"(y/n), what do you mean you don't like the aftermath Yumeko questioned.

"You can't gamble with people you care for, and unfortunately I care for everyone" I chuckled

Yumeko looked a bit confused but after a few seconds, she looked like she understood. 

*Time skip to lunch because I'm lazy*

I ate my lunch with Yumeko, Ryota, Mary, and another girl joined us right as we sat down. She looked at me with wide eyes as I took a bite of my food. I noticed and asked her "yes?" sounding annoyed. 

" Hi I'm Itsuki Sumeragi," She said excitedly.

"Oh, your father owns that toy company right?", I questioned. "I'm (y/n) Kaneko by the way".

" Yep. You're from the Kaneko Case right", Itsuki chirped.

"Let's not talk about that please" I chimed in.

We all chatted a bit and everyone asked me questions about myself and I asked a few questions in return. Until my eyes saw that girl across the room, the same girl I saw on the first day. The one that winked at me, the girl with the electric blue eyes. I was frozen and she noticed me staring. She stopped in her tracks and looked me up and down, checking me out? I quickly turned away to break our eye contact, but once I did I could feel my face heating up quickly. My eyes darted back in her direction, where I caught a glimpse of her talking to the person she was originally talking to, a girl with long black hair in a ponytail. I sighed with relief but when I looked back up at her, she winked at me again! I panicked and quickly excused myself from the table and headed from the bathroom. 

Once I got into the bathroom I quickly rinsed my face with cold water. The deep red from my face started to fade and I calmed down a bit. 

"Relax", I said as I gently cupped my face.

"Oh, did I fluster you?" A silvery voice inquired at the doorway of the bathroom.

I looked to my left and my eyes met those electric blue ones.

Part two! hope you're enjoying the story thus far and once again I'm sorry the chapter is so short, but I have business to attend to. I'm excited about finally meeting Kirari and I'm excited to write the next chapter!

-The Intelligent Raccoon