↳ 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

Late August 1977

12 Grimmauld Place

                  Thea's green ballgown swayed with every step through the front hall. Her heels clacking against the hard floors. 

Faint party laughter was heard from the flooding of light ahead. 

Before entering the room, she straightened up and her senses heightened.

"James," she said quietly, but sharply, "when I say you have to be on your best behavior, I mean it. If they say anything prejudiced, just smile--"

"But-" James protested.

"No buts. You can't change their mind, so don't try. It's dangerous," she hissed "actually, if anyone says anything that you even mildly disagree with, you cannot say anything," she added.

"Fine," he huffed.

"You cannot be loud and you cannot goof off with Sirius. He already knows this, but don't tempt him," Thea instructed.

"Ok mum," James mocked. 

"Offer your arm to me," Thea quietly instructed as they neared the ball.

He nodded and did. She looped her hand around it. 

As they entered, they could feel the heat of everyone's gazes and yet no one was looking at them. 

James made a move to the corner, but Thea did not budge on her course to Orion and Walburga. She knew how they worked, she was almost placed among them. She knew how to get what she wanted. 

"What are you-" James protested.

"Shut up," she sharply whispered.

"Thank you," Sirius whispered as he came beside her.

"Mum, dad," Sirius said curtly.

"Sirius, darling," Walburga said with sickly sweetness, "who are your friends?"

"This is James Potter and Ophelia Potter. I have been staying with them for the time being," Sirius said in a voice so unlike his own. 

He knew he needed to be the perfect son. For one night and one night only. Then he would have it. At least he was in the good graces of one member of his family, it's a shame he had to be a dead member. 

"It is an honor to meet you Mr. Black, Mrs. Black," Thea said with a small smile as she did a small curtsey and James, who finally realized what was happening, bowed a little. 

"You speak for you brother?" Orion asked with a quirked brow.

"I'm afraid so, sir. He's quite shy I'm afraid. Though I wish the roles were reversed as it would help me find a husband," Thea said with a fake smile.