↳ 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐬𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

The Black Lake

January 1978

             "James, I'll take care of it," Thea said to her brother who was seated next to her.

She did not move to look at him, only staring at the beautiful lake. The water sometimes rippled and moved with the wind. 

"But-" James protested.

"It's your last year. I could just repeat a year. Plus, you'll need to take care of Sirius and you're just getting started with Lily," Thea explained.

"That reminds me, she said that she's sorry, but she's going to have to miss your study session again," James said quietly.

Thea nodded, sucked in her lips and sighed. 

"Yeah, I'm going to take care of them. You have no healer experience. I have a little, which is more than you," Thea said. 

"Ouch, Thea," James joked.

He looked over at her, trying to get a reaction, but she remained stoic, staring at the lake. 

She took in a deep breath and pushed herself up so she was standing.

"You should probably get going. You have potions, don't you? I think you'd want to stay in Slughorn's good graces," Thea said with a small smile. 

She held out a hand for James to take. He did and she helped him up. 

They looked at each other for a moment.

"Are you alright?" Thea whispered.

James just blinked and then slowed shook his head. 

"I'm scared. I don't know what I'd do without them. I can't imagine life without them," he explained. 

She squeezed his hand in reassurance. 

"Are you?" he asked. 

She closed her eyes and dropped her head. 

She opened them and stared at the grass. 

When she looked up at him, he nodded and pulled her in for a hug. 

"We can go tell Minnie later," he said.

"Right," Thea replied.

"Thanks," he said awkwardly as he started to walk away.

She nodded and turned in the other direction.