↳ 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫

August 1979

The Order of the Phoenix Headquarters

            They were back from their mission.

Everyone was buzzing in the analysis department. They were closed off, the aurors were too rash with too much information. 

Thea wasn't assigned to their squad, they consisted of her family and friends, she had too much of an emotional attachment. 

"You got the analysis on the book for us, Thea?" Fabian asked, grabbing her attention from the ruckus a little ways away. 

"Uh- yeah- sorry," Thea said, smiling a little as she handed them the report. 

"So, nothing?" Gideon asked, slightly disappointed.

"Sorry, boys. Maybe next time," she said with an apologetic face. 

"What's going on?" They asked simultaneously.

"No idea," Thea mused as she looked behind her.

It was natural for there to be a ruckus when James, Sirius, Marlene, Dorcas, Lily, Peter and Remus came back. Their team was one of the most respected, aside from the Prewett Twins and Mad-Eye Moody. They were also quite loud. 

Thea and the Prewetts watched, amused, by the theatrics. She turned around when she was tapped on the shoulder as a letter was slipped into her hand. She looked around, but didn't see anyone out of the ordinary. 

She examined the note and noticed how neat it was.

"Where'd you get that?" Fabian asked as he noticed that she was holding something that she wasn't before.

"No idea," she said as she continued to examine it.

"Well, who gave it to you?" Gideon asked.

"No idea," she said as she smiled up at them.

"Thea, give that letter to us," Fabian said, warning in his voice. 

That's when she saw it. The Black family crest. Walburgha and Orion would never send her something, so that only left one person.

"It's alright. It's from a friend," she said with a nervous smile.

Regulus never sent her letters. He only sent her messages in French through his Basset Hound patronus and yet, here it was. 

She carefully broke the seal and opened the letter. It was Regulus's handwriting. She'd recognize it anywhere. 

Sirius looked over at Thea with the Prewett Twins. He was extremely jealous that she wasn't assigned as their analyst, but rather theirs, but he understood. 

He saw her unfurl a letter with a black seal. Could it be?

He saw her face slowly drop as she read it. A single tear slipped down her cheek and she looked up, immediately making eye contact with him. 

He walked over.

"What's going on?" Sirius asked with a careful smile. 

"It's Regulus," Thea whispered.

Sirius stiffened. He was aware of their friendship, but he did not like it.

"What about him?" Sirius asked in a dangerous tone.

"He's dead," Thea whispered even quieter.

Sirius's body fell cold. His hands started to shake and he shook his head.

"He's 18, Thea. His birthday was 14 days ago. He's- He's too- He's innocent," Sirius cried as Thea teared up, but none threatening to fall. 

"I know," Thea breathed out.

She launched herself onto Sirius, pressing her weight onto him as they awkwardly fell to the ground, to calm him down. His breathing slowed and he regained composure. 

"How?" Sirius asked weakly.

Thea hesitantly reached for the letter. She looked down and tried to read it, but couldn't. She looked up and into Sirius's eyes. She took his hand and kissed the back of it as another tear rolled down her face. He reached up and wiped it away gently.

She let out a shuttering breath. 

"Dearest Thea, If you're receiving this then that means I've gone through with my mission. Before I quell your curiosity about what the mission was, I want you to know that you and Sirius have been the two people to keep me going, even though Sirius isn't fond of me anymore. I don't know what I would've done if I didn't have your friendship. 

Five months ago, something very troubling came to my attention. You would already know what I'm referring to, either consciously or subconsciously, after the events of the ball at my parent's house two summers ago. 

I discovered where the first one lay and I've gone to retrieve it. If you're receiving this letter, then I have been successful, but something has killed me along the way. I've asked Kreacher to destroy it and as house elves are extremely reliable and skilled in practically every form of magic, I'm sure he's up to the task. 

I do not have the words to say, or rather, I have too many, so I must burden you will telling Sirius. Please, make sure he doesn't sink again. I knew about the last time and I tried to help, but he wouldn't accept it. I understood. 

My dear Thea, I am terribly sorry for not listening to you. Nevertheless, I hope that I will see you again as I wish to apologize in person, but not too soon. I'm sorry I've had to miss your wedding ( that will happen, no matter how much you deny it ). Oh how I would've loved to see the day you officially become my sister, for that is what you always have been and will continue to be. You have my love and my loyalty. 

Yours, basset," Thea read.