35. Trentacinque

A few hours ago

A few hours ago

Remo's number flashed on my phone screen when I was driving to Zara's house. It's her birthday tomorrow and she isn't telling me about it. Her reasons may vary from predictable to unbelievable. But I feel it's the radio silence from her parents and her habit of paying for everything and not wanting to be a burden. Not that I could throw her a big bash considering the current situation. So, for now, I only bought her a diamond necklace as a present with mamma's approval.

"What now.?" I drawl.

"Another video..." his voice boomed inside the car, but I didn't answer him and drummed my fingers leisurely on the steering wheel. "Gian, are you there.?" he repeated in panic.

"Of course. I am here. I am waiting... patiently." I mock, snickering.

He sighed in resignation, I can picture him mouthing curses at me. "I'll tell you everything in detail, later." he said, as we don't discuss our chats on phone to avoid the FBI listening in. Even with Remo's cybersecurity and it's also easier to detect a lie in person.

"You know I will be available only after tomorrow. So whatever tiny little link you have caught can obviously wait." 

"Maximus has already begun to work on it and he is confident." He answered sternly, getting frustrated with my slimy taunts.

"I know you are dying to get your kid back. But I will release him if it works, you know it." I thunder, dismissing the call. I'd taken Maximus as collateral at first so Remo will be on the edge, considering there aren't any improvements apart from waiting like cunts. I would have let him go but Zara likes to work with him and it will take time for Van to be familiar with another employee. But if this works I might be lenient little towards him. He had turned out to be a very useful asset. And his constant flinching has stopped completely.

My time with Zara was going smoothly until she mentioned Bilson. Soto had appointed Antonio to stalk Bilson. Nothing suspicious has come up so far. Since the winter break, he has been spending a mediocre life, which is fucking suspicious for a man his age. Yet, I didn't act on it. Because it won't go unnoticed if we barge into his house since he is pretty tight with his neighbors.

I quickly left from Zara's house to Remo's den. As much as I loathe that bitch Helen, Zara will be safe with her and latest catch David. We watched the new video, it turned out to be filmed at another one of those posh rooms.

"We can just go and beat the hell out of him, Gian." Emiliano muttered, punching his fists on his palm. While Remo worked on pausing the security cameras around Bilson's neighborhood. Most of the fuckers were out of town for the weekend.

"We don't have enough manpower. We will be in the middle of the city. Maximus asked for 15 more minutes. We will give it to him after then we will go." I growl, strapping in my guns and knives. The familiar rush of adrenaline and hunger for blood was hanging in the air. Our hands were twitching like crack whores craving for another fix. If things don't work out we will just barge into enemy territory and initiate a fight. Because there is no fucking way we'll go back to bed without seeing another man's blood staining our hands.