50. Cinquanta

"Your orders are to follow me and do as I say

"Your orders are to follow me and do as I say." I voice out authoritatively, as my gaze shifted between Emiliano and Soto.

Emiliano's lips curve in a lopsided grin as he stepped back, leaving a narrow space between Soto and him. My anxious eyes met with Lorenzo's expecting him to say something to me, to water down the grim situation but he didn't.

Straightening my spine, I stride toward Gian as he was stepping back from his mother's grave. I slipped my hand in his, weaving our fingers carefully. My heart broke as his dazed eyes met with mine.

"I am so sorry, Zara." He whispered as his hand went limp against mine. I squeezed his palm but his fingers didn't curl around mine. Panic gripped me, I prayed to the angels in heaven to give me the strength to help me not shed a tear now. I need to be strong for both of us now.

I swallowed the thickness forming in my throat, still holding his hand. My nose prickled and my throat ran completely dry. But I stood my ground beside him, not crying. The priest spoke in Italian, I couldn't understand a single word. People came to console Gian while giving me a side-eyed look. Women pretended to dab on the tears over their cheekbones which weren't there to wipe off.

When a beautiful girl came with her family, my shoulders stiffened in full alert. She was looking at Gian like he was hers and I was an intruder. I covered my hand over his wrist and stepped closer until our sides were glued to each other. Her nostrils flared in an ugly manner, making my ego swell knowing that she can indeed look ugly. Her eyes flickered between Gian and my adjoined hand to my face. And she didn't look impressed.

Pegging me to not be qualified to compete for Gian's attention, She started to hug Gian but whatever she saw in his expression she pivoted back. All the guests slowly left but Gian and I stood where we were.  

A chill ran down my spine when a pair of angry brown eyes threw a menacing glare at me. "It was very clever of you to show up here. You thought my son will leap on to fetch whatever you have to offer..." He sneered at me. I squirmed, shifting uncomfortably as his gaze shamelessly raked over my body making me feel like I had been naked.

Gian's fingers finally grabbed mine as he spoke, his voice sounding grave. "Zara is a friend, father. And she is here to offer her condolences." 

Mr. Armani's eyes narrowed at Gian in repulsion. My own anger spiked at him for making a scene here just because he didn't like me.

"You are not a weak man to need condolences from a puttana. Fuck her behind that tree if you want. But don't malign my name in public by flashing-"

My chin wobbled hearing the profanities against me. He doesn't even know me. I might not have made a good first expression by coming here in this dress. But can't he see my disheveled state.

"My wife wasn't shot dead, father. I am not weak one here." he spoke calmly with a threat of violence underlining them. He squeezed my hand, turning us around to leave. He walked with me until the parking, then his hand slowly left mine.