40. Quaranta

Sofi de la Torre - Heartbeat

And if you find yourself astray

Cause something broke along the way Listen to your heartbeat

Because we're all chasing stories That we haven't told,

trying to buy What cannot be sold, I'm selling up

After school, I was heading to leave when Helen stopped me offering a ride home in her car David gave her

"I was thinking if we could hang out." She asked breathlessly, propping her hands on her thighs wheezing for air. I had tried to pretend to not listen to her calling after me and she is breathless by filling a small gap, with me on my heels and her on sneakers.

"Is everything okay?" I ask in alarm. Because Helen here had lied about her job to David. She told him that she was a teacher here. Somehow the truth was revealed and now she has enrolled in the online classes as I, did to get a degree. That man sounds like every girl's dream and with the risk of sounding like a bitch. Helen doesn't deserve him, but after that trip to Fiji, instead of enjoying the luxury he is providing and enjoying the time between as she used to do in her previous relationships, she is working to channel the good person inside her.

"Oh... yes it is and it's not about me. Well... where can we talk in private." She bit her lip nervously.

"There is this diner." I offer reluctantly. Patting Van on his back as he was agitated in Helen's presence.

"No. That's not exactly private and you have to feed Van, don't you.?" She gave me a goofy smile. And I found myself agreeing to take her to my home.

I was worried about Van and my safety before climbing inside the car. But surprisingly, she was very careful and drove at a moderate speed. After reaching my home, I fed Van quickly and he dozed off immediately after that.

"What is it, Helen.?" I ask, plopping on the couch beside her.

She gave me another awkward smile, wringing her fingers over her lap. "Look, Zara. You know me. I'm not the one to gossip.." My brow lifted at that. "Just hang in there, okay." She said sharply, then quickly turned back to her previous meek tone.