49. Quaranta­nove

I was smoldering with fury when I got the information

I was smoldering with fury when I got the information. I sprinted towards my car and threw it into gear. Kicking my foot to the gas I floored it. The speedometer hitting the 100mph mark and further. I drove like a madman breaking all the traffic rules, leaving havoc of botched up traffic on my trail.

My car screeched to a halt. The sound of tires squealing was still resonating in the empty streets as I climbed out quickly. The rubber on my car's wheels was emitting a pungent smell. I heard the noise of engines revving of other cars before the headlights could even approach the streets as they followed me here.

I choose the baseball bat and Damascus blade from the trunk among other ammo. Holding them in a tight grip, I marched towards Zara's house and kicked in the door. Remo has already disabled the security system. It gave in after two shoves from my elbow. Soto nudged me with his shoulder to take my place.

I took a tentative step back. The sound of the couch screeching against the floor came from behind the door, which must have been used by her to bar the door from opening.

I loosen and tighten my grip on the blade and the bat in agitation. Assaulting the fractured bones of my fingers all over again, they were on a verge of getting numb after the excruciating pain I had experienced while driving.

When the door was jarred open I shoved Soto aside and got inside climbing over the couch blocking the narrow corridor.

I glanced around quickly in the living room, not finding her there. Then I headed towards the bedroom. There wasn't any sign of her under the bed or inside the wardrobe. Leaving the only possibility of her being in the most obvious place.

"Fucking bitch." I spat opening the shower curtains. She was curled into a ball, her body was shaking in fear as she fucking should be.

Her hair was pulled in a ponytail, making my job easier. I grabbed her ponytail in my fist and yanked it hard. She wailed in pain, clawing on my hand as I dragged her squirming body to the living room where others had been waiting.

"Gian, stop. Please... stop. Listen to me. Please give me a chance. Hear me out, please." She begged, sobbing.

I pull her body up still holding with her ponytail, enjoying her wincing. I leaned down, pulling our faces closes as I spat. "Start by telling me what the fuck are you doing in Zara's house.?"

*****

"Gian... Gian... Listen to me." Emiliano's voice was fading like I was underwater. He shook my shoulder violently, I peered at him as my bones rattled in fear. Afraid that he will repeat what he had been trying to convey.

"She is dead. She was shot. She didn't make it. please... let's go. We need to be there." Emiliano spoke, even his own voice shook, slurring like he was drunk. But he was just dazed like I was. I repeated his words in my mind. It was the truth.

She was shot. She was dead. I'd failed her.

*****

Emiliano pulled over at the third exit of the hospital. But the scene was still the same. Media whores everywhere huddled in a bunch. Ready to throw questions my way, just doing their jobs. The news had spread like a bullet. They were already here, even though we had been the ones to break every traffic rule to be here as soon as possible. Judging by the set up the perfect light casting upon the reporter's face, it seems like they had at least half an hour advantage.