41. Quarant­uno

I flinched in fear when the doorbell rang

I flinched in fear when the doorbell rang. My heartbeat knocked loudly against my ribcage. This is real. This is happening. I'm going out on a date for the first time and it's not with the man who has stolen my heart. I didn't do anything different with my appearance, just enough to blend with the crowd. Hopefully, the guy will turn out to be a total loser who would not like me for not making any effort to look the part.

'Arghhh...' I groaned in frustration when the doorbell rang again and my phone blasted with her call. I had my fingers crossed for the cancellations. But David and Helen came right on time to pick me up for a late dinner.

"I have heard so much about you." he greeted me, his voice sounding very young and gentle compared to his physical appearance. David is 30 but the way he is dressed in dull-coloured clothes makes him look 40, in a mature way. But he has the heart of a 20-year-old guy. His belly is way too big compared to his physique otherwise as Helen had spoken. But with his height, he didn't look odd.

"All good, I hope." I mumble with an embarrassing chuckle, glancing at Helen. Who averted her gaze from me.

"Yes, Miss Sinclair. Good things..." David assured me, running his hand over his hair. He has a wide hairline and his chocolate brown hair is close to balding. That could be on his busy schedule and early success.

He started all the small talk on our way there. I had feared he might try to bring up Gian's name, but he never did. The thing I'd liked was his nature, his voice, and the shine in his eyes. The way he looks at Helen. The creases on the corner of his golden and brown eyes would soften and warm up every time Helen spoke.

David chose a simple restaurant, Parallax. 10 minutes after we arrived, a tall guy with broad shoulders joined us. He was wearing a jean shirt, khaki pants, and a wide grin that became wider when his eyes landed on me.

"Justin Brown." he introduced himself with a smile, showcasing his pearly white teeth. The front two teeth were slightly bigger, softening his otherwise brooding presence. But it didn't pull any string inside my heart. My lukewarm reaction to his beautiful face was just normal. That involuntary sigh didn't release from my mouth. My stomach didn't flutter in response as it normally used to whenever a handsome man's gaze would settle on me.

"So it is fun to be around kids?" Justin asked, starting another conversation, looking at me straight in the eyes. But his face was scrunched, as though the idea of being around the kids wasn't sitting well with him.

I ponder my answer for some time. "Fun? Yes. And sometimes when things go wrong, it's not like they do it on purpose. They don't even know what they are doing wrong. So how can I get angry over that." I shrugged. My cheeks flamed to have the attention of all three of them when I peered at them, tearing my gaze from the food.

"Woah... Miss Sinclair. I can't even imagine surrounding by them." Justin huffed. His laugh was husky and playful like his personality.

"What would you feel when I tell you Zara is their favorite..." Justin's brows lifted on Helen's words. "And they call her Miss Honey." She added, giving me no chance to move my gaze back at my food again. It was rude to not make eye contact, but this isn't exactly a favorable situation for me.