46. Quaranta­sei

I remained holed up in the hotel room, crying and sleeping

I remained holed up in the hotel room, crying and sleeping. My food came on time without me ordering for them once. I nibbled on them, barely registering their taste. Gian might barge in, breaking through the window if I don't eat. I sat up and clambered out of the bed. I gasp in shock as I look around the room and the mess I have created since I hadn't allowed the housekeeping to set foot inside. But the lethargy took the best of me and I slumped back on the comfort of the bed.

On the third day, I showered and dressed to visit my house. The man Mario was at the front like he had never left. He had told me to call him up If I needed to go anywhere, but I had thought that offer was only up for that day.

"My house." I say quietly, typing on my phone to get the geolocation for him but he was already tapping on the navigation screen, my address was saved already.

"Unbelievable." I huff, leaning back on the leather seat, crossing my arms across my chest like a little kid whose mother has said no to the Tim Hortons passing by.

Mario stopped the car one house down mine and gave me time to get myself together. It was Wednesday. My parents usually have a day off today unless they have any important surgery scheduled.

My neck craned up to look at the house I had called home. The black patio umbrella on the balcony was partly faded into light grey now at the side where the sun is harsh. Ambling towards my house, climbing on the 10 step stone stairwell parallel to the car ramp, I scan the clay pots. The pots that once had small plants with blooming flowers on them were now replaced by ugly, unkempt Ornamental grass and Lamb's-ear. The clay pots were broken from the overgrown roots.

They were chosen because they require less care. Including the other plants with different shades of green. All of them were low maintenance and wild. My heart rate increased looking at the wildness dispassionately. My trudging feet turned into long strides as I knocked on the door. A few moments later, the door flung open.

Dad opened the door for me, my feet remain still on the ground as he crossed the small distance and hugged me, ruffling my hair.

"I missed you so much, Zee bear." he whispered, his voice quivering. But I couldn't get myself to say it back, even for courtesy.

He held my hands, taking me inside to the living room. I instantly noticed the award my parents wanted to receive. I pointed to it with a smile.

"Your mother received it." He told me with a proud expression. Making my smile falter for a fraction.

"Where is she.?" I whisper, shifting on my feet uncomfortably.

"In her room."

"is she okay.?" I ask in a panic. My parents would only go to their room to sleep. They spend their time in their separate home offices during the other time. It's 10:00 a.m. She can't be sleeping.

"She is okay. She is just resting." He answered, and I threw him a suspicious look.

"She is okay, trust me. Everything is fine. We will talk about it when she wakes up." he assured me, but my frown still didn't clear.