Chapter Twenty Six

POV: Wooyoung

There was a fright in accepting the fact. It was a door he thought he'd never open. He didn't mind people liking the same gender, but he never imagined he'd be one. He was confused, to say the least. Unexpected realisations were always daunting.

There also was a fear in confessing that to his friend of six years. He knew Yeosang wasn't someone who'd judge him for his sexuality—or so he believed. But it wasn't guaranteed that he wouldn't distance him away. The way he looked at him could change and he trembled at the thought.

"You must be joking," Yeosang scorned.

Wooyoung flinched at the words of rejection. He found a lump in his throat he couldn't swallow.

"Three years, Woo. THREE FUCKING YEARS."

Wooyoung thought he was the one who was supposed to be emotional. But somehow, Yeosang's voice was trembling and there was an unknown tension to it. Anxious, he turned his head to the almond-haired male whose head was dropped, his bangs hiding his eyes from betraying any emotions.

"All those years I convinced myself being a friend was the best for us—or was the only choice I had. All those years I blamed myself for falling for a wrong guy, who I would never have a chance with."

Wooyoung watched as Yeosang clenched his fists, also trembling like his voice. He wanted to soothe him, but he was utterly confused.

"Uh...I'm not following...?"

"I like you, Wooyoung," the male next to him snapped his head towards him, his crystal eyes shooting straight at his. "I've liked you for three years."

Wooyoung gulped the lump in his throat. Bitterness spread through his belly and lingered there heavily.

"All those years, I told myself I can't be anything more than a friend to you...and now you're telling me that a guy you've known for six months has your heart?"

His voice was like smashed glasses, broken, shattered, stinging. And those fragments sprayed in air, drawn in as Wooyoung breathed, pricking him from his inside.

"Why can't it be me, Woo?"

The male with broken hue in his eyes approached, cupping Wooyoung's cheeks and the moment he realised, his lips pressed against his.

Wooyoung probably should have pushed him back. But he didn't know if he had the right to. Every pain he felt evident from his trembling lips transcended through the touch, squeezing what laid in Wooyoung's left chest.

His mind was in a whirl of confusion and disappointment to himself—how he'd been so oblivious scarring a friend who he was supposed to cherish. And yet his stubborn mind couldn't stop comparing the kiss.

The kiss that night under the effect of alcohol yet so vividly burnt in his memory, with the midnight haired man. How the heat they shared jutted down his abdomen, feeding his need but starving him for more all the same. That jitter he felt within, that intoxication, that felt so wrong but so right.

And all that he felt now as trembling lips brushed his lips was a sorrow.

This is wrong.

Not because he was a man and Wooyoung was obnoxiously rejecting his possible sexuality like back then, but it was his friend. It was Yeosang.

Not much force was needed to push him away. Only a small weight on his chest was enough to separate. "I'm sorry Yeosang."

He met Yeosang's ailing eyes; glistening as though shattered glasses were embedded in those dark chestnut spheres.

Wooyoung never saw Yeosang cry. Even when he fractured his bone while playing basketball in school, even when he had to say goodbye to the pet dog he grew up with. He never cried.

He was strong. He was vigilant. Maybe on his family's death bed but nothing else could possibly waver his heart so wildly to make this man shed tears. Oh, how wrong he was.

Wooyoung was a protective man. Once he lets someone in his heart, he'd do whatever he can to protect them, and their tears will be a trigger. The irony was that it was he who made his most treasured best friend cry.

Yeosang shook his head briefly before he shot up and left the room. The shutting of the door sounded louder than what Wooyoung had remembered, ringing in his head endlessly.

"I'm so sorry, Yeosang...."

A/N:

I'm so so thankful for the comments I've been receiving as of lately...they're motivational and it makes me happy to know someone is enjoying my fic 🥺