sixteen

16.
WHERE THE HELL IS AJ GOING?

"where you going?" reggie asked aj as she put on some dirty converse

"where you going?" reggie asked aj as she put on some dirty converse. "somewhere." she shrugged, alex and luke looked at each other with knowing looks. before they could speak, she pointed to the door. "julie's here."

the three turned and got on their positions for the 100th time and julie walked into the studio. "we're sorry." reggie started. alex popped out from behind luke. "so sorry." luke bent down. "we're super duper crazy stupid. sorryyy." they finished with jazz hands.

"in case you missed it, we're really sorry." reggie points out. julie looked around for aj, raising her brows. she just shook her head, tying her shoelace. "yeah. i got that part." she replied. "we've been for like three hours." as reggie and alex high fived. "we almost sang to your little brother."

"he comes in here a lot. mainly to use the bathroom." they say. "yeah. it's not our favorite part of the day." alex states. "but julie. it wasn't okay that we flaked on the dance last night. we know we let you down." luke said. "and none of us wanted to disappoint you." and all julie was giving them was a stank face. "you're the best thing that's happened to us since we became ghost." aj mouthing an ouch.

"so in hopes that you'll rejoin the band. we booked a new gig. a mega important, life-changing gig." both luke and reggie said. aj put her feet down, leaning back crossing her arms as she watched the scene go down.

"okay. check it out. tons of managers go here to listen to new bands. all we gotta do is blow them all away, and we're living the dream." luke explained. "so this means a lot to you huh?" they're smiles drop slowly. "kinda how playing in front of my whole entire school meant a lot to me." she said. "sounds like sarcasm." reggie gasps. "i'm starting to think our plan isn't working."

"look. we know we messed up. you had aj to pick you up." alex said as julie lifted her chin letting them talk. "but we need you in the band." luke finished. "of course you do. because without me. without aj. no one can see you guys playing." julie said. "but.. we have aj." "doesn't mean she'll make you visible." julie shook her head.

"you know. i thought that the music that we were writing was special. but you're too obsessed with your past to even care." that's when aj's face went soft. maybe luke did mess up but she didn't know his past fully. "i do care." luke argued. "our band has a real chance at greatness. i'm not gonna let that get away from us. again."

"uh-huh. right so then why'd you bail on me to get back at trevor?" she asked which they couldn't answer. "i'll tell you why." "julie.." aj warned.

"cause there's only one thing you care about, and that's yourself." she snapped. aj uncrossed her arms slowly as luke's face changed. the four watching as she walked away.

aj slowly stood up. "she didn't mean it luke." she said as the boys nod. "she's just upset." alex adds. luke turns back, staring at the boys then to aj before disappearing. "where's he going?" reggie asked. "where do you think? remember what today is?" alex answered.

reggie sighed as the two boys look at aj. she sighed before nodding. "talk to julie." she said and poofed away.

"i was waiting for you." luke mumbled as aj appeared next to him. none looking at each other but the door. "yeah." aj whispered taking his hand before walking out.

the three peaked out. "why's aj there?" julie asked when she found her in the corner of the room fiddling with her fingers watching luke. "he told her about this when she was the only one awake at night, he was kind of having a mental breakdown and aj's just a really good listener." reggie shrugged.

"luke wants her there. when she found him crying, he immediately tried to change the subject. she went all like being vulnerable is a very manly thing. she spent the whole night waiting until he was okay. you know. he feels.. safe around her." alex explained more. "you know this how?" julie chuckled. "they woke me up. but i didn't wanna ruin it." alex said nervously chuckling.

"so. emily's his mom?" julie asked. "yeah. yeah luke comes here a lot, with her." alex said as reggie adds on. "he thinks we don't know but.. we've been following him. all he does is just hang out like this and watch them. they never really do anything though." reggie said.

aj took a deep breath as the cake was placed on the table. "they're having cake. that's something." julie said. "it's a birthday cake... for luke." reggie replied. "he was really excited to turn 18. he wanted to fall in love that age. something he told aj. and only aj. but you know." alex continued.

"i never knew luke was hurting this much." julie admits. "yeah. it's even worse because when he died.. he left on bad terms. you know, his parents didn't want their 17 year old in a rock band. so. he just left. he never got the chance to make up with them." alex said.

they all watched as luke slowly approached the table, blowing the candle out. "that's why luke was so angry. if trevor had given luke credit for writing all the songs, then.. his parents would've known his dreams was worth chasing." reggie said. julie closed her eyes shaking her head. "they would have been so proud."

the four watched as he blew out the candle once more with his parents. "why doesn't he ask aj to let him visible?" julie then asked. ".. aj's already asked. he said he wasn't ready. and he wouldn't be ever. he's i guess too afraid, he wouldn't know what to say." alex shrugged.

julie wipes her tears. "we know how bad it hurts whenever someone that should've had your back. completely let you down. we never meant to make you feel that way." alex said. "julie. we love our band. and luke does too. please give us another chance." reggie finished. she looked back finding aj slowly walking up to luke, putting a hand on his shoulder rubbing it. she couldn't hear her obviously but she could tell aj said she had to go.

"where's aj going?" julie asked. the boys shrugged. "she doesn't tell us. we think it's with her other friends but kacey asked us if she's been with us." reggie said, the three look at each other confused. "what's she doing?" reggie asked. the three turn their heads, she had stopped at a certain vase with roses that were completely dead. next to some other colorful ones julie recognized.

they watched as aj looked back at the family, before waving her hand above the flower and it slowly bloomed back into a healthy state. "she.. luke gave those roses to her mother the last mother's day. in one of the petals. luke wrote a little note for emily plus his dad. emily believes it's a sign he's doing okay. but luke doesn't know she's been doing it." alex explained.

"again. how do you know?" julie asked. "i'm aj's girlie." alex managed to let julie laugh. by the time aj disappeared, luke finally turned his head to where she disappeared. where the hell was aj going?