🌹 t w e n t y n i n e

TRIGGER WARNING : Mentions and acts of suicide.

What was pain. What was sanity. Pain was supposed to make you ache. Sanity was supposed to give you reason. But what was both when both sense and thoughts fail you?

Did the world stood still? Why did it feel like everything stopped? Did the sun finally die out? Why was everything so dark?

"Selene."

Was that even her name? Why was everything so silent despite the cry?

"Selene."

She was so used to the name Aiyana. Aidoneus always calls her that aside from his endearments. Aidoneus. The man who signed his own demise just so he could make her love him. Aidoneus loved her. Of course he did. That was why he died for her.

"Selene!"

The first intake of breath after you drowned, the first time you open your eyes after being trapped in a dark room, the ringing of the ears after a gun shot was fired... then... silence. The silence that snares you into a void of being... lost... traps you into nothing but an empty space.

But then someone called and she heard the cries for the name again. "Selene please!" The first sense.

Two warm hands caressed a face. Warm warm hands, cold bleary face. The second sense.

A tear trickled, the opened mouth of the girl letting her taste the liquid. Salt. The sea. She'd remembered the sea. He'd said the sea was beautiful because it was the color of her eyes. Third sense.

The air smelt of winter and the cold. Of familiarity but not. Of belongingness but not. Fourth.

And then there was a woman in front, caressing the girl's face, wiping her tears, calling out her name and she... smelt like home. But the girl knew it wasn't her home anymore. Her vision focused more but her face remained unemotional. The fifth.

And just like that. She was able to feel everything at once, remembered everything at once but strangely enough her face remained blank. Tears streamed like an endless river where no one knew where it ended and began. The pain was insurmountable and at that moment she really believed that it was possible for someone to survive without a beating heart.

"Selene, please look at me. I'm your Mother. See? I'm here. Mom's got you, you don't need to be scared."

Scared. No. She was more than scared. How would she live now? Without him? The present was no longer a present it was a curse and the future no longer held meaning, there was nothing to anticipate, every passing moment was pointless.

How long had she been asleep? Had it been a week? It seemed like she was in pain for years.

"Aidoneus." For the first time she spoke and it was his name that she muttered, surprising her Mother at the same time not.

"Sweetheart..." Her Mother began, and for the first time Aiyana looked at her.

"Where is he? Where is my Aidoneus?"